RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Techno lust...digital camera

Old 08-07-2003, 04:28 PM

Thank you all again for your suggestions.

I went back to the camera store and looked at one of those Canon G5 models, but that is too much camera for me - although if anyone wants to send one to me, I'd be happy to accept.

I took stock of the equipment I have and came up with the following requirements:

The Kodak DC3800 takes fuzzy pictures because of the digital zoom (which can't be turned off) - I want clear crisp images.

The Epson 1280 does a decent enough job of printing - when I use the right paper and get it cleaned and I use the roll paper to produce 4X6 (or other size) prints, BUT the prints are sort of "gummy" not smooth like from Wal-Mart. When I hand out pictures from the 1280, people complain that they don't feel "right"

Soooooooo ........ I went to the camera store and got a Canon S400 camera (that's IXUS 400 in Europe) and a CP-300 card photo printer.

The batteries are charging as we speak and as soon as I can, I'll post some examples.

I thought about the on-line vendors that you all suggested, but our monetary exchange rate is fluctuating so much lately, that it is not advantageous for us Canadians to buy anything that has to be purchased in US funds (my brother's new Olympus camera was much less expensive here)

Now I need to go and do some reading,

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2003, 04:51 PM

Thats the updated version of the V3 I mentioned earlier so I'm sure you'll be pleased with it. My brother has one and being a tremendous butterfingers has dropped it many times, its covered in dents and still works perfectly!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2003, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chris h
My brother has one and being a tremendous butterfingers has dropped it many times, its covered in dents and still works perfectly!
That is good to know - my grandson dropped the camera I had before when it was only a couple of days old. It still worked, but I wonder if that's been part of it's problem

The new gear is charged up now and I understand the basic functions, so I'm going to do some testing.

256 MB Flash Cards were down to $100 CDN today so I treated myself to one of those too!!

I'll keep you posted

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2003, 06:45 PM

wow, this is kinda of funny, I came to RetouchPro today with the intention of posting exactly the same question that Margaret just posted!! I'm going crazy trying to decide what printer/digital camera combination to get (I've got money in hand, just can't decide for the life of me what to decide on..)

I've narrowed the choices down a fair bit, so this is most likely list of what I'm looking at buying:

Printer:

Cannon i550, Epson Stylus photo 825, Epson Stylus C82 (unlikely since what I've read in reviews about the color issues with it)

what I need from a printer: basically I just need the best photo quality I can get in a low cost printer, nothing else really matters that much to me since it's almost exclusively photo's that I'll be printing from it.

Digital Camera:

I'm looking at the Toshiba PDR-3300 right now, but if I'm gonna get it, I gotta get it this evening since the sale ends today, I can get it for $300cdn if I act fast, which is a pretty good deal for a 3MP camera with a 3X optical zoom I think.

What I need from the camera: I just need a good all around camera, zoom is nice but not a requirement for me, color quality is the biggest thing for me, if there's slight problems with some photos it's not that big a deal since I can fix it in PS, but I just need good, fairly high res. images to work with.

I'd appreciate and help I can get quickly, because if I'm gonna get this stuff I have to get myself over to futureshop within a couple hours...
thanks in advance..

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2003, 06:57 PM

Ok well I was just checking out the epson website and found out that they'll give you a rebate if you buy the epson 825 and a Print Image Matching capable camera, which the Toshiba camera is, so that's making this look like a deal I can't pass up.. unless anybody tells me to avoid either of these products I'm running off to futureshop!

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2003, 06:58 PM

David,

Unfortunately, I don't have any great advice for which camera or printer to buy. But, if you buy the Toshiba on sale, can you return it for a full refund? That would give you the option to get the sale - but still do some more research. In case you decide you don't like it or there's something better, you can just return it.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2003, 07:19 PM

good point, they've got a good return policy there, I've dealt with them quite a few times so it should be fine. in the mean time, I did some searching on google quickly and I've found some reviews and sample shots and I'm quite impressed so far with what I've seen. I'll keep you guys updated with what happens and post some photos when I have everything running.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2003, 08:00 PM

well darn!! I phoned every single future shop in edmonton and they're all out I guess I'll keep looking for another camera..

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2003, 08:02 PM

Can you get a rain check (so you can get the sale price when they have stock again)?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2003, 08:13 PM

big thanks Jeanie, I phoned them again, and they said they'd do it!

- David

Quote:
Originally posted by photomauler
David, are you against buying on the net or something? I paid $1300 and some extra for two day shipping and was happy as a peach. Tons of reputable places to purchase from on the net. Maybe you wanted to play with a new camera tonight...
well the fact that I'm not 18 yet means I can't get a credit card. no credit card = no web purchases.. I also prefer dealing with an actual store, much easier to deal if there's problems.

P.S. yep, i'm not really the patient type.. can't stand waiting for stuf!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware