RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Techno lust...digital camera

Old 08-07-2003, 08:17 PM

Tough luck David, sorry you didn't get the camera. I'm not familar with their cameras so I not much help on a recommendation.

I can help on the printer. The bad rap the C-82 has gotten is a design issue. The printer uses pigmented inks which is good. The prints made using this printer will last a long time. The Epson design team made a poor decission, at least I think so, when they decided to not incorporate a black cartridge using "micro-encapsulated" inks like they did on the 2200, 7600, 9600 and so on. What this means is that you cannot print on resin coated papers, which most Epson glossy papers are, using this black ink. What they did was to design the driver to create the black in the photos using only the color inks and not use the black cartridge. What results is a very lack-luster photo prints. They recommend using the matt papers for this reason. On matt paper this printer really does a great job and the print-outs are very archival. I guess they did this to save money and offer this printer at such a low price. It's a great printer, I bought one for use at work. But, if you like to print glossy photos it may not be the one you should get.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2003, 08:22 PM

Glad to help David!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2003, 10:42 PM

Well thanks again, I have my rain cheque in hand, so I'll have my camera within the next couple weeks, and I got my printer today (Epson Stylus Photo 825)

Kevin - interesting info, I was wondering what was causing that. the guy my dad works for got it and was instantly dissapointed by the fact that the color he was getting on it was worse than the cheap HP he was replacing with it (he's still using the HP.. took too long to take the Epson back, and didn't want to make too much effort trying to fix it!) I was actually over at the place for a couple hours helping him with some network problems and seeing if I could get the epson to print any better by adjusting settings but nothing I could do really helped it much.

PM - I'm not afraid of buying stuff on the net, I've borrowed a parent's credit card a couple times to buy stuff, but in my experience anyway, I've been able to find stuff just as cheap or cheaper at local stores. anything I could find for cheaper was usually in the states, and don't even get me started on our exchange rates and border fees!!! most of the stuff I buy is computer components and I can find it cheaper at the OEM stores around town than I can at any website I've found, especially when you add shipping to the cost. I guess it depends on what you're buying - for consumer electronics stuff I would agree with you that it's cheaper on the web.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2003, 11:11 PM

I'm with David as far as buying locally - you have to remember that we're in Canada and have to calculate exchange. Given the current exchange rates, it is usually cheaper to buy an item locally than to buy it from an American company and then pay for shipping and duty.

Service is also an issue and on things like cameras etc, it's just not worth the hassle.

David, I hope you're happy with the new printer. I decided that my camera needs were pretty simple, small size and clear pictures - I think the Canon I bought will do the job. I'm not in to apertures and f-stops

Take care, margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2003, 12:56 AM

Margaret - Thanks, I'm extremely happy with this printer, just printed off a semi high res scan of a photo I took a while ago on the included Epson premium glossy photo paper, and it came out great, held it up by the screen and the colors are right on (I've already calibrated my monitor) definitely photo lab quality by my eye anyway!

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2003, 03:26 AM

Margaret, Have fun with the new camera and let IT worry about the exposure for the time being getting out and taking photo's is the priority. Otherwise good shots will just fade away while you agonise over the buttons!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2003, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by photomauler
Their are no prices really given at DPR so you will have to get your prices elsewhere.
All the cameras have the street pricing mentioned in dpr.

I would say that Canon A70 is pretty popular at $300 range.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2003, 01:27 PM

In case anyone is still interested in my camera woes....

This is a comparison of an image taken with my Kodak 3800 and a similar one taken with my sister's really old Kodak digital.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldcamera.jpg (36.5 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2003, 01:31 PM

....and here's an image taken with my new camera in auto mode. I also took some images in manual mode with disappointing results (operator error I'm sure )

Margaret
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rosalie.jpg (29.8 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2003, 05:02 PM

Margaret -- I'm so glad that your new camera does focus well, and takes good images. If that image you posted from your old camera was an example of what you regularly got from it -- it was definitely damaged -- that lack of focus is not normal for any digital camera I've ever seen. (Of course, I should ask -- did you have your glasses on when you took both pictures? )
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware