RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Canon raises the bar!

Old 09-24-2003, 01:29 PM

Yea, that one's very interesting. The D60 is still a great camera. Goes to show that the number of pixels doesn't tell the whole story about a camera. The D60s are still bring over 1000.00 on ebay.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2003, 02:10 PM

Kevin,

Some folks don't even need color.
http://www.pbase.com/image/20582262
http://www.pbase.com/image/21654948

Catia
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2003, 02:30 PM

Yea Catia. That's one thing I haven't done with the N80 is to shoot B&W. That's another thing about film that I don't like is the selection of local Labs is slim to none in my area. There is one, a Phototek, but they are very proud of their work.

I can always scan the slide or negative and convert it to B&W in Photoshop, but it wont have the dynamic range that B&W film can produce. I need to do more B&W work, my Epson 2200 really shines in monochrome printing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2003, 03:11 PM

Kevin,

Lately, I have been using the DigiDaanB&W PS action. It can be found here

http://www.digidaan.nl/indexframedig...xer/index.html

Catia
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2003, 04:21 PM

Thanks, I'll try that tonight. Looks like his approach is very well explained. This might my answer to the dull B&W.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2003, 02:48 PM

Just thougth I'd let you guys know, I ordered the 300D on Saturday. I was able to use one last week and think that for my needs this camera will fit the bill just fine. Anyone who is looking at the Sony 828 or the Minolta Dimage A1 I think you will be able to get these cameras at a lower price than the manufacture originally intended.

Those of us who wanted a DSLR prosumer camera this is a great choice. Those of you who wanted one of the fixed lens prosumer cameras I think you will benefit from this cameras introduction as well. I think it is a win-win situation for all of us..
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2003, 01:29 PM

Kevin,

Here is a link to a 300D review by Michael Reichmann at Luminous Landscape http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...al-rebel.shtml . He went on to answer the question "Should you Buy A Rebel?"

His response was:

"The answer very much depends on your photographic needs and experience. Here's what I would suggest...

> if you are new to photography, have a restricted budget, and this is your first serious camera... go for it. Get the Rebel kit with lens. It's likely the best camera investment that a beginner can make today, and you'll probably become a better photographer with it than you might with a comparably priced digicam.

> if you are a somewhat experienced film-based photographer on a tight budget, and now's the time for you to move up to digital, the Rebel is a great choice. Just save your pennies and buy a more capable lens at the same time. You'll quickly outgrow the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, and worse yet, when you decide to upgrade to another camera down the road this "S" series lens likely won't fit it.

> if you already own a Canon digital camera and need a second or backup body, or one for light-weight hiking or vacation use, this is the ticket. Just skip the kit and avoid the lens.

> If money isn't that tight and you're looking for a quality 6MP DSLR, then I'd suggest instead the Canon 10D if your looking within the Canon line. This gives you a more robust body, additional important features like mirror lock-up and metering mode selection among other improvements.

But, whether you buy a Canon Rebel 300D or not, it's worth knowing that we have just witnessed a price / performance breakthrough in the digital camera wars, and the ultimate winners are us."

Catia
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2003, 01:41 PM

Mauler forgot a few lines from the above review (found here --
PhilMug.org )

"These are only minor flaws in what is otherwise an excellent camera, ... For photographer newbies on a budget, advanced amateurs looking for a good deal for the money, or seasoned pros looking for a near-disposable backup camera to augment their high end gear, the 300D is almost a no-brainer. I can recommend this camera without reservation to any of the above, and at this historical, practically sub-$1000 price point, I'm almost sure that ten years from now we will look back at the month of August 2003 as the point in history when the consumer 35mm film SLR finally started its last descent into extinction. "
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2003, 01:50 PM

C.J.,

Thanks for the clarification. It is difficult to make a rational judgement from points taken out of context. I read the entire review and found it to be informative and interesting.

Catia
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2003, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I just hate it when people won't accept the downside of a product.
Agreed. It's almost as frustrating as when people won't accept the upside of a product.

Anyone who buys a $1000 camera and doesn't check the reviews from multiple users, keeping in mind the biases for each reviewer, is doing themselves a disservice. EVERYONE has biases, no matter how often or how loudly they claim they're always fair and balanced, and it's important to recognize that different reviewers have different goals or expectations from the same products, even if they're completely impartial in terms of direct functionality.

Photoshop frequently gets blasted for not being easy to use; is that a sufficient reason to not use it? It would be if you're only using it on rare occasions for simple tasks; it's not if you need the capabilities. If you followed just one reviewer, or only read reviews from casual users, you'd get a very different impression of the product than if you listened to a wider range of users, especially those whose use is similar to yours.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware