RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

intuos 2

Old 09-23-2003, 06:12 PM

intuos 2

Hi,

I'm considering upgrading my tablet from a 4 x 5 graphire to a 6 x 8 intuos 2. The cost has come down on the intuos to about $255 on the internet and now might be the time to buy. My question is, because I've never used the intuos, is it that much better a product than the graphire? There are some issues with the graphire that just drive me nuts.

Thanks,

Craig Carlson
Sebastopol, Ca
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2003, 11:26 PM

Craig, I've got a Graphire but my sister recently got an Intuos 2. Last time I visited her I played with it for a bit. No heavy "work", but I have to say it felt so much "smoother" (don't know how else to describe it) than my Graphire. I'm totally jealous. The biggest thing that I noticed was that the pressure sensitivity was a LOT smoother (technically, that's 1024 levels of sensitivity in the Intuos to 512 in the Graphire.) I don't know if that's what makes the difference, but to me it was quite noticeable.

What is it that drives you crazy about the Graphire?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2003, 12:38 AM

I have the Graphire at work and the Intuos at home. With the Graphire you have to 'push' the curser around with the pen (if you get run out of pad, move the pen in and push some more - like a mouse) - with the Intuos where ever you hover your stylus, that's where the curser jumps to, the pad maps to the sceen.

Needless to say I vote for the Intuos, it is alot more intuitive for me and much easier/quicker to use. It is worth every penny.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2003, 12:43 AM

Roger, my pen/cursor has never worked like that on my Graphire. The pad maps to the screen - just like your Intuos. Are you sure you don't have your Graphire set for "mouse mode"? Check the Wacom Tablet setup in the Control Panel.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2003, 02:26 PM

Hi Jeaniesa,

I guess what bothers me the most is the pen, it just doesn't feel right in my hand and I'm constantly inadvertently clicking the button and bringing up some unwanted window or messing up some task that I'm trying to do. Also I'd like the pen point be physically closer to the tablet before before the cursor moves or activates.

The 4 x 5 tablet size is O.K. but I think I might like the 6 x 8 better.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2003, 09:57 PM

Craig, my sister's Intuos pen felt a lot heavier and "steadier" in my hand than my Graphire one. I bet you would like it much better. I don't know if the activation distance is much different (or adjustable) though.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2003, 10:21 PM

FWIW you can set the buttons to ignore. I had that problem too, always activating the buttons when I didn't want to.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2003, 07:07 AM

I recently switched from a Graphire 2 to a Intuos 2 6x8 the sensativity is better and includes tilt, and I like the size of it better.
The duo switch is removable with changeble pen grips so you don't even have to worry about it.
As for the activation distance I haven't found a place where that can be adjusted in the software, however the pen will still activate through something placed on top of the tablet up to 3/8 or so inches thick and still allow you to hover (this is so you can place paper or other things on the tablet for feel or tracing) and is one way to shorten the activation distance, same for the Graphire I think.
Another plus for the Intuos is that it has a button set to open, close, print, copy, paste, etc...

Rick
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2003, 12:00 PM

Hi,

I took delivery last week on the 6X8 intuos 2. It is much better than the graphire. Since I already had the plastic out I also went for the air brush also. It's gonna take some practice to get good at the tilt and wheel controls.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2003, 08:25 PM

Thanks for the update Craig.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware