Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Photo Editing; Useless with Printer.

Old 11-03-2003, 06:19 PM
First of all I'd try printing unretouched photos, preferably outside of Photoshop, just to narrow down whether or not PS is part of the problem. If they print great outside of PS, then something in PS must be the problem.

Go to Edit>Color Settings to see what working space you have loaded under RGB. Is your Color Management Policy on?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2003, 06:37 PM
(sigh) Has anyone seen my dunce cap?

I tested your first theory of your first reply in Photoshop. It was of a picture of a woman with an orange color cast. My printers print preview didn't display the color cast. That is when I decided to view my color settings in Photoshop and they didn't look familiar. So I went back, Vikki, to your first attachment that you provided when all this began. The color settings were all wrong. I don't know if I put the wrong settings in and didn't realize it, or if my computer changed them on me. I have had the computer do that on rare occasions. I have placed the correct color settings in Photoshop, and now the color cast in the photo is gone. Whew!

I wanted a career in this type of work. I was ready to fall to the floor crying, "My career is over!"

Thanks Doug and Vikki for doing my brainstorming for me, I was too panic stricken to think, as well as too undereducated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2004, 10:55 AM
I keep think about this thread that I started and I wanted to clear up any confusion it may have created.

Nothing that I tried solved this problem. In the end I only did 3 of the many pictures that were given to me to restore. They turned out to be horrible, I returned them back to the person and told them that something was wrong with my computer, or my printer, or Photoshop, or all of the above. Nobody would ever hire me if I used those finished photos in my resume. So, basically I had terminated the assignment and classified it as a lost cause.

To my shock and amazement she loved the three that I restored. She did notice the small color imperfection that kept printing out, however, she didn't care about that. So, she gave me back the photos and offered to pay me for the work that is done on them.

Well, I have her photos on my computer once again. In the process of restoring them I decided to do a print test run to see what color disaster I was going to have on my hands. Guess what? No printing problems at all! I noticed as I was reading the manual on how to replace my color ink cartridges, there was a caption that reads, "What to do if your printer isn't printing colors correctly." So, I carried out those procedures. I don't know if that was the problem but my printer is printing the photos colors correctly now.

The solution on my printer was to align the print the print head. So, if you have visited this thread before and I confused you further with my ignorance, and like me you have a problem that couldn't seem to be solvable. Perhaps your printer has simular features with simular solutions.

I apologize for any confusion I created in this thread. This really is my first computer, my first printer, and my first Photoshop. It really has been difficult learning everything by trial and error. Without and organized education there are things that I never think of if someone or something doesn't point it out to me. Nobody was here pointing at that printer manual, thus I never thought of it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2004, 01:01 PM

Just another bump in life Jimmy. I think that the majority of the people that frequent this board have had some kind of color matching/printing problem. I know I have. Glad you got it fixed...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2004, 02:54 PM
Jimmy, I suggest that you consult and and make the appropriate changes to your color management and printer settings.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2004, 07:02 AM
colour problems

I had a similar problem when printing scanned photos ( i assume the photos you were working on where scanned at some point) the solution was when I frist started work on the photo I selected "file- import" option as opposed to "File - open" this gives the option of using the photo's colour working space as opposed to Photo shops working space and the after that open the file as you would normally. There will be a dialog box come up each time you open the file, select " use emmbed profile (instead of workink space)
Hope this helps. Dennnis
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware