RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Photo Editing; Useless with Printer.

Old 10-25-2003, 04:42 PM

Angry Photo Editing; Useless with Printer.

I have some old photos that a friend of mine gave me to restore.

It really was not a large assignment, because the photos were not in bad shape. They just needed a basic color correction and she wanted her husbands face to be a normal color. His face was really red from years of drinking. However, this was not a major problem to solve.

The problem is just before printing my printer gives me a preview of what the image will look like when it is printed. However, what it looks like on my monitor is not what it looks like in print. In addition to that it doesn't matter what I do to the image in Photoshop 7, it will still come out differently in print.

For example, I did my editing and color restoring of one of the photos and it turned out real nice. The problem is that in print the color looked a little washed out. So, I thought, "That is no problem I will just do some more editing to give the photo more color." This did not help. The print photo still turned out the same.

I did some testing to this. The only thing that will show up in print is the basic layer adjustments. Nothing else will have any significant impact.

Editing in tools will show up in print (i.e. healing brush; clone stamp; etc.). However, Curves, Channel Mixer, Hue Saturation do not show up in print. It is as if the printer is doing its own image editing and overriding everyone thing that I do in Photoshop.

Is there a solution to this problem? I don't know what else to do. The end result turns out just fine, well most of them anyway; however, what good does it do you to try and learn this stuff if your printer keeps undermining all of your work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2003, 05:53 PM

A possible solution:
Select "Print with Preview" from the Photoshop FILE menu (this is not the same thing as your printer's "print preview.)
Check to see that Color Management is selected.
Check to see that the correct profile is selected.
Here's how mine looks. I use sRGB for a profile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg print.jpg (66.4 KB, 79 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2003, 05:23 PM

Smile

Vikki,

That solved most of the problem. Now if I add a Hue Saturation adjustment layer to give it more color, my printer will now recognize the changes that are made.

The remainder of the problem was due to a editing technique I have learned. I work in the RGB format, however, I also have on a seperate layer a CMYK version of that photo that has already been edited. This allows me to get a more natural looking skin tone in the subject. This is what is affecting the final color preview. I guess it is confusing my printer. With the new color settings that you recommended I can now make changes to resolve the washed out color I was getting in the print preview.

I tested one image that I didn't add a CMYK version to it, and it turns out perfectly in the print preview.

Thank you Vikki for your help. Photoshop is very complexed, I never would have even thought of what you suggested. Some of Photoshop is still way over my head.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2003, 07:10 PM

Glad to help.
Thanks for the follow up.
Vikki
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2003, 01:22 PM

Lightbulb Here I go again.

I give up! No matter what settings I try. No matter how much I learn. I just can't do photo restoration with this printer. It never prints what I see on the monitor. In addition to that, any changes I make to improve the print image end up ruining the photo. I that point I am forced to delete the photo and start over. Tool changes do show up correctly in print (i.e. healing brush; clone stamp; etc.); but not color changes.

However, the reason I am posting this is because I have an idea and I need feedback.

If I take my photo files to a printer will it print what is on the monitor; or will they have the same problem that I do?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2003, 02:42 PM

If you have your printer software set to "Optimize Color" or some other setting, you are giving up control of what is printed. It will automatically adust your image for what it "thinks" is the optimal settings. If you have this on, I would turn it off and see what you get, especially after you've changed your Photoshop printing settings.
Also, I would NEVER delete something, and start over, because it didn't print right.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2003, 04:27 PM

Question

Vikki,

I have tested that possible theory a long time before my previous post on this subject that you replied to.

It didn't solve the problem. I unchecked all of my printers photo enhancement features because I thought just what you did. That my printer was taking control of my editing.

I get the impression from your reply that my printer shouldn't be causing me this much trouble.

My printer is a Canon i850. Do you know anything about this model, and the pitfalls that come with it? Not counting myself of course.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2003, 05:30 PM

If your print does not reflect the color changes you make to your image, from my experiences it usually means:
Your color profiles are wrong
Your printer is auto adjusting
Parts of your image are out of Gamut
Your monitor is not calibrated

I don't know what else to tell you.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2003, 05:48 PM
Janitor

Are you printing on photo paper?
Is your printer set to "high quality"?
What working space is Photoshop set to?
Does it print non-retouched photos well?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2003, 07:08 PM

Question

Doug,

Uhh...The answer to your questions are;
Yes.
Yes.
Don't know.
Haven't tried it.

Vikki,

You might me on to something. How can I tell if my printer is auto adjusting? I saw something in the printers color management box that might imply that the printer is auto adjusting the color.

Also, what color profiles need to be in the color management box of the printer?

How can I tell if my monitor is calibrated or not?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware