RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Monitors

Old 10-06-2001, 03:39 PM

SuperScan Elite 751

I found refurbished 751's for $185 with $45 shipping. These are great monitors if you're looking for a good deal on a 19".

http://www.pricewatch.com just search for "elite 751".

The new 19" CM771 can be had for $349 and the CM772 for $359.

The 21" CM810 is in the mid $550 range. The CM827 is in the mid-$650 range, The CM821, 823, 828 are $750+.

Agree you should get the biggest, best quality monitor you can afford. But dual monitors are a great option and I find that this setup provides me all kinds of freedom for the work I do.

I do have a heavy duty swing arm, but mounting to the wall is not an option if you like to move around or move your office around from time to time. However, I no longer use the swing arm since even the smallest vibration trasmitted through the desk is a major pain in the kiester.

Fortunately I have a very sturdy and large right angle desk setup so room isn't much of an issue.

The refurbed 751 is tempting me!

Last edited by sburris; 10-06-2001 at 03:41 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2001, 12:41 AM

Lightbulb Making Do

All this talk about 19" and 21"; $600 plus monitors has me drooling, but in my world I have to make do.

If anyone out there is living on a tighter budget and wants more viewing area you should look into setting up a CHEAP duel monitor system. All you need is a second video card (A special video card is required to run duel monitors) "I got mine new for $45.00"

Next you need a second monitor. I already had a 15" monitor for my computer so I bought a second 15" monitor (used) for $50.00

I installed the video card myself so my total costs were less than $100 (Canadian).

Compared to the price of a 19" or 21" monitor I've got a lot more viewing area for a lot less money.

Once you've used a duel monitor system you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. It's particularly great for doing tutorials. One screen has your work on it and the other monitor shows you how. For Photoshop I push all the floating palettes onto the second monitor and out of my way. Sure makes it easier to work.

Ron
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2001, 09:21 AM

Thumbs down

Excellent suggestion. I never knew what the costs were in setting up a dual monitor set up but I did know it took some added hardware (video card and who knew what else) So this information was a great help to alot of people wanting more viewing area but having to stick on a budget.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2001, 06:16 PM

Wink

DJ Here is a URL for more Dual Monitor Information and it has a link listing all the Dual Monitor cards recognized by Microsoft plus a good picture showing what a dual system looks like.

http://www.windows-help.net/features/dualmonitors.html

It's interesting to note that a number of new cards designed to run two monitors from one card are now available. For example I found an excellent 32MB card selling for $51.00 USD on the net.

Generally speaking the quality of a second monitor doesn't need to be as good as your primary display. A less costly second hand unit will usually fill the bill nicely.
Ron
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2001, 06:30 PM

Ron
Thanks for the link. I wondered what a dual monitor looked like in action. That is so neat. Thanks for the info too as I believe alot of people will benifit from it. I will have to check the site out further.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2001, 11:24 PM

Somehow I'm only have a 15" monitor for the usual reasons of supply and demand of funds. Recently I got a dual monitor graphics card (as I had a 7 year old 14" monitor lying around) and it makes an amazing difference. You place all your palletes on one side and have a great amount of space to work away with on the other screen. The that I have is 32mg and that really only becomes relevant with regards to games and 3D graphics, which in general isn't what we are doing. The card was relatively cheap and I would highly recommend it. Now all I have to do is wait for the supply and demand of funds situation to improve and then I'll be running two 17" monitors ..... <drool>
:P
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2001, 11:31 AM

Thanks everyone for continuing the discussion. I've been following with interest. I think I'll be getting a new printer before a monitor, but the info here has been most helpful!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware