Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Old 09-19-2001, 11:23 PM

I was talking with someone today who has just ordered a flatscreen (LCD) monitor. This is a person who does a lot of photo work, so I was a little surprised as the last time I compared CRT vs. flatscreen technology (between 6 mos-1 yr ago), I thought the consensus was that CRT still offers the most vibrant colors and contrast for photo work. I was quickly corrected in our conversation that flatscreens actually provide more contrast - and are easier on the eyes.

So, I'm wondering what types of monitors you work on - and why you chose them. I'm well aware of the cost difference between the two technologies, but if that were not an issue, what would be your preference?

Thanks, Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2001, 12:03 AM
I don't own a flatscreen or LCD, in fact my monitor is nothing great at all, but its common knowledge that LCD screens aren't consistently color-correctable (not even from one part of the screen to another) and so are therefore useless for serious color work. (but they are seriously cool)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2001, 12:23 AM
I recently upgraded my computer and was searching for a CRT monitor, but ran across info on the KDS® 15" Ultra-Thin LCD Display by radius. I have a laptop which had worked surprisingly well for me with Photoshop when my desktop PC was down, so I checked some reviews and looked at the display in Sam's Club (for $349.98). I'm sure there are advantages for pros to have a high level CRT, but my small computer table (and my back) are more suited to lightweight, small footprint peripherals. The Rad-5 is made by a well-known monitor maker, radius, and backed by a 3 yr. warranty. It's viewing image is larger than the 15 inch CRT it replaced since the CRT's measure diagonally, and the display is bright and sharp (to my aging eyes). I got it and I'm happy.

ZDNET's review of July 2001 summarized it Pros and Cons as follows:
Pros: Good image, Easy installation, Attractive case, Competitive price
Cons: Hard-to-reach buttons [not THAT hard - CJ]

Here's some ADVERTISING chatter for it --

LCD Panel
Type : TFT LCD
Pixel Pitch : .297(H)mm x .297(V)mm
Max Color : 16.7 Million displayable colors
Contrast Ratio : 300:1 (typical)
Max Resolution : 1024 x 768 @75Hz
Dimensions : Panel: 358mm(W) x 358mm(H) x 158mm(D) (14.09" x 14.09" x 6.22")
Weight : Net: 4kg(8.8 lbs)

Full 3-year warranty backed by KARES lifetime replacement
For the life of the monitor, KDS will replace the monitor with another unit within 48 to 72 hours
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2001, 12:51 AM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I have a 17 inch Viewsonic flat screen monitor. Some people say they don't like them, but I really like mine. Some people have a problem with the two small grid lines running horizontally on the screen. When I first got mine, I noticed it for a while, but now I rarely see it. Kinda like a dirty wall. If you see it all the time, you don't notice it. Note to self - shouldn't have said that. Now I gotta wash walls.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2001, 09:45 AM
The only major limitations of the flat screens that I've seen is that they're more delicate, have limitations in their resolutions, AND you get less space for your buck.

At work, I use a 19" Viewsonic PS790, and I'm quite happy with it. (I just need to pursade them to get me a 21")
At home, I have a "Cheap" 17" that I use for games and such, and I have a better 17" (soon to be 19, I hope) that I use for "serious" stuff.

One thing I do recomment, though, is that you get a Sony, or have products made with Sony Tubes. is an excellent resource for finding out what certain products are good. I use them as a measure of quality.

<tosses two pennies>
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2001, 11:12 AM
I use a 19" Hitachi SuperScan Elite 751 and I am very happy with it. At the time, it was a great price for a 19" monitor and was a huge improvement over my smaller monitor. Yes size does matter ;-)

Of course I don't think Hitachi makes this model any more, so here is a link to their monitors.

Hitachi Computer Monitors

Last edited by T Paul; 09-20-2001 at 11:15 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2001, 02:55 PM
Wow - what a diverse array of monitors! (I would have expected nothing less from this group. ;-) Thanks everyone for your replies.

Ed, just to clarify, you have a flatscreen CRT, right? Not a flatpanel LCD? (I realize now that I probably confused things in my original post with my terminology - using flatscreen rather than flatpanel for the LCD-type displays.)

I have a flatscreen CRT too (I'm pretty sure it has a Sony tube, but I'm not positive) and I hardly ever notice the two horizontal lines anymore. This is a home-loan monitor (21"!!) from my husband's workplace though, so I'm trying to do some research for the day that we have to return it. Of course with the rapid pace of changing technology, by the time I need to buy one, all the info here will be obsolete.

Anyway, I appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2001, 11:48 AM
T Paul,

I've also got a Hitachi 751 and would LOVE to find another. I'll have to look and see what the current model version is. My 2nd monitor is an old ViewSonic 17" GT770. Two matched 19"s would be more desirable.

Wonder if I can find a back stock of 751s.

Of course two large monitors do take up a lot of desktop space so I fully understand the urge for flat LCDs.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2001, 12:01 PM
To save deskspace mount your monitor on a TV wall bracket assuming your desk is near a wall and swing it away when not required. Mine's bolted into brick probably have to be a bit careful with partition walls especially with 19''+ monitors.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2001, 01:31 PM
For what it's worth, no matter what type monitor you eventually decide on, go for the largest screen you can get. I have the 21 inch View Sonic and I love the room I get on it. For photo editing it is great. Even if it costs a bit more, I would still get the larger screen. You will probably upgrade your computer more often than your monitor so put the bucks into getting the best. Just an opinion.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware