RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Problem Getting Quality Prints

Old 03-31-2005, 10:24 AM

Ok i see the problem i have opened up the printer and in the right side of the machine i am assuming its the printer sponge or whatever you call it is a bright pink and blue ink blob so now what do i do, it won't let me put my hand in, lol! sorry that sounds funny but it won't stop moving.

Helpppp before i get caught in the machine...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2005, 10:45 AM

I don't have your printer, but if you push the ink button or whatever button you push to change inks, it should stop the printer head from moving and set it to the left. As for the sponge, I believe it stays pretty saturated and is suppose to be that way. The problem arises when stray ink gets on the rollers and carries over to your photos... Of course if it is just pink and blue, perhaps you had a faulty ink cartridge that dumped most of its ink.

I'd email/call Epson support and possibly consider returning the printer if you are unable to resolve the problem. 4 weeks is a mighty short time to be experiencing these problems.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2005, 10:49 AM

Thank you very much T Paul!!!

I have just got the inkish hands i have ever seen and cleaned the inside of the printer, and just printed out a picture and it looks gorgeous again, no lines, i should check my old printer i bet all i needed to do was clean it, its in the spare room gathering dust i could clean it get it to work and sell it on ebay, be able to afford a tablet and pen then.

But its working perfectly now.

Thank you you should change your id to St.T.Paul!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2005, 10:52 AM

LOL....well I have had to fight with my Epson 1280 trying to figure out why I was getting stray colors and ruining prints. It took a long internet search just to find the above info...but it made all the difference!

I have also read that you really want to print something daily or at least weekly to keep the ink heads from clogging up. It doesn't have to be anything fancy...could just be the nozzle test.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2005, 10:55 AM

Nozzle test? I don't know that one, but sure willing to learn, i have just read on the link you gave that we should switch off the printer at night, err guilty but shall from now on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2005, 11:12 AM

A few more Epson tidbits:

Quote:
Epson printers have a high printing resolution (DPI = dots per inch); this means that the print head nozzles have to be manufactured much smaller than most other printer manufacturers' nozzles. The size of the actual nozzle hole is smaller than a human hair and it does not take very much for them to clog. Epson printers have a built-in print head and are prone to having ink dry in the print head nozzles, causing streaking and void areas. Over time, the print head clogs, rendering the printer useless. Just running the cleaning cycle is NOT enough!

The most common cause of clogged printheads is from infrequent printing! Use it regularly, at least once per week. If need be, put a sticky-note on your monitor to remind yourself! We recommend printing something using black text, an email or Word document, for example. And a web page with color in it (red, yellow and blue). Doing so helps keep the ink flowing through the printhead nozzles.

Another cause of clogged heads is not powering the printer down properly. When you are finished printing (for the day), use the printer's on/off switch to turn it off. This allows the printhead capping mechanism to fully engage. Using a power strip to power down does not allow the capping mechanism to activate. Thus, leaving the ink in the heads exposed to the drying effects of air.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2005, 11:15 AM

As a matter of interest, I bought a 1280 a few years ago. I got it in early spring when it was cold and DRY and it worked fine.

Then as the weather improved, the quality of my prints decreased to the point that I couldn't get a decent print no matter what I did.

I spent hours on the net reading everything I could - and bothering the folks here too - until my eyes were bleeding, but nothing helped.

Finally, I tossed the wretched printer in the closet and forgot about it.

Then, the next winter, I tripped over it and thought I'd give it one more try and it WORKED! What??

Eventually I came across a post on a forum somewhere that suggested that the humidity was affecting the paper and ink in such a way that the two just were not compatible. The poster claimed this was a well known problem.

I have the 1280 all packed in a box an it's on my todo list to take it to a nice family that thinks they can make use of it.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2005, 11:25 AM

One other note,

Quote:
CAUTION: When you don't turn your printer on for a long time, the print quality can decline, so turn it on at least once a month to maintain good print quality.
~Epson Web Site
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2005, 11:27 AM

Epson R300

For the R300, here are a few links that may be helpful:

Epson Stylus Photo R300 Documents and Manuals

User Manual (contains section on maintaining your printer)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2005, 11:38 AM

Thank you again T Paul i have just printed off 6 lots of pictures and i am happy with the clear results, i am getting ready to start craft fairs with my new techniques, now all i got to go is try not to cut my fingers on the framing, but i think i should get alot of work from the pictures i have printed off, i emailed a lady online who has a website offering canvas prints and asked where she goes to get them done, we are now quite friendly so now i have a place to send my work to get it printed on canvas, not clear yet on a price to ask for colour or black and white pictures, i may ask the forum later this evening.

I have saved all the info you have very kindly helped me with and will read the manual later too. I have just printed off my website homepage and i am pleased with results.

Even though this is a hiccup i would recommend epson R300 as its a very clever machine, although i wish i had gone for the one with the monitor it would have helped so much more at the craft fairs.

Off to ask a very nice neice to lend me her laptop computer for the weekend.

Elle xxxxxx
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware