RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Durable Digital Camera?

Old 01-03-2004, 01:15 PM

Durable Digital Camera?

My old dig. camera finally met it's end a while back, after being dropped on the floor at work! I am now in the market for a new camera and would like something that can take a beating. In other words, if I throw it into the back of my pack and go for a bike ride on very rough trails for 4 hours (perhaps dropping the camera on a few roots once or twice!)...I want the camera to work when I get back.

Does anyone have a recomendation? I will only be using it for snapshots and don't require a top-of-the-line, high-res. camera (I still use 35mm slide film for more "artsy" stuff). Anyone have a camera they have dropped a few dozen times to no ill effect?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2004, 01:29 PM

Can't help on which camera will take a beating and keep on clicking, but the comment you made about using slide film for the more artsy stuff does bear a comment.

There are all sorts of rumors and that kind of stuff flying around about the sooner rather than later demise of slide film. Usage is apparently continuing to drop and we all know that means, sooner or later it will no longer be profitable to make and then.....

Even that great beacon in the slide film sky, Natl Geo, has started doing (from the planing stage) stories using digital images.

Just thought I would pass it along for what its worth.

Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2004, 01:57 PM

I know that film, for the most part, is going the way of the dinosaurs, but I still enjoy it. It's just another way to make an image...it's not as though modern litho presses and inkjet printing stopped people from continuing to work in comparatively ancient forms of printing like etching and woodcuts. I doubt making images with film will die out the way some people think it will.

You inadvertently brought up another point as far as durability goes...my Canon is over 20 years old and still going strong, despite being dropped more times than I can count! The Pentax I used in college worked just fine without a battery and it too was built like a tank. If someone makes a digi cam just half that durable, I'd like to know.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2004, 09:30 AM

I've played with a lot of digitals and most seem built pretty cheaply, especially when compared to my old Nikon FM2. The only 2 I would recommend are the Canon G series and the Olympus E10. Both are quite sturdy but maybe a little more than you would like to spend.

Cheers
Duv
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2004, 09:33 AM

Just another thought. I you have Canon lenses maybe the digital Rebel is worth considering.

Cheers
Duv
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2004, 02:31 PM

My Digital Ixus V3 is pretty bombproof Greg, in effect its a stainless steel box so it can take a battering. My brother who's accident prone has one and its lived to tell the tale despite being covered in dents and scratches.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2004, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Just another thought. I you have Canon lenses maybe the digital Rebel is worth considering.
I think the Rebel's plastic body goes against what Greg is looking for. But then on the other hand...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2004, 03:49 PM

Digital Cameras are not *that* rugged

If you're looking for something that is going to take a beating, then Digital Cameras aren't the best for that sort of thing, esp ones with LCD displays or extending lenses.

If you're just taking snapshots, something with a fixed focal would be best, and those are capable of being thrown into a backpack (with a little care of course...ie: neoprene or hard case shell) and still working after biking etc. I'm *not* sure about being dropped once or twice tho.

Persoanlly, I'm a Canon fan, so you might want to look at either the A-series or S-series.

However, remember that all digital cameras come with sensitive sensors and high-tech chips that can damaged. With film cameras, you can whack someone over the head with it, or drop it 1-2x and still have it working; the digital cameras require a bit more care.

A little pre-planning and care will ensure a long life for the camera and make you happier. There are enough products out that will ensure that!

But, check out the Digital Review Forums
http://www.dpreview.com

and do a search. You might just find a camera that fits you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2004, 07:29 AM

same need but for a 6 year old

I've been thinking about a digicam for my 6 year old granddaughter. I'm not terribly concerned about megapixels - durability is the issue. Has anyone bought or made a padded case that would help reduce damage if dropped? My first goal is just to get her started taking photos. I've even thought about getting a used camera to keep the cost down.

I love to look at shots taken from a kid's-eye view. One of my favorite all-time pics is the turkey carcass shot taken by my stepdaughter the Christmas she received her first camera!

LJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2004, 10:45 AM

I saw a little girl with one of these the other day. It is a 35mm though.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/mypolkad...eacamchca.html

Catia

Just found this on WalMart's site

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...&xsell=2458433
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware