Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Wacom Graphire3 or Intuos II

Old 02-21-2004, 02:46 PM
Question Wacom Graphire3 or Intuos II

I'm thinking about gettin' a Wacom Tablet to help speeding and improving my photo-retouching. And while I've been informing myself and going to a store where they only had a cheap Graphire3 I'm wondering what the difference to the Intuos 2 would be.

It seems rather strange that a similar size Intuos2 tablet would cost about 4times of the graphire3.

I already thought to get the A4 Intuos2 which is rather expensive. But as the shop did only have the Graphire's at that incredible low price I was a bit shocked and almost purcheased one right away. But then again I often rush into get-the-cheapo-thing-first followed by the get-the-right-stuff-which-is-expensive-but-required.

The graphire felt a bit cheap and I hope the intuos feels more robust?!

Help me justify, please :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2004, 07:14 PM
I have a graphire 4x5? (about 1+ year old that I got bundled with painter) - don't know if it is graphire 2 or 3 (it doesn't say on the back) - I also have two Intuos 6x8's - the Intuos is definantly more robust and I am not sure exactly why, but I like using the Intuos a lot better. I use the Intuos's on the desktop computers and the graphire on the notebook computer.

I would say the difference is worth it if you are using it for professional work of a high enough volumn to where the little things become important ... the graphire does work and without any complaints if you havn't experienced the difference.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2004, 05:06 AM
I have had no problems with my Graphire for 2 years. I only use it about twice a week though, mostly for artwork and occasional photo restoration. The Intuos has more options and runs at a higher resolution, making it more precise than the Graphire. As Roger stated, if you are doing a large volume of work, or need to make very precise masks, etc..., I would get the largest Intuos that you can afford.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2004, 06:04 PM

I wound up with the Intuous2 6X8 and have been very satisfied with it. I got it directly from Wacom and got a better price on it than one being offered by a large photo "discount store I tend to deal with. I used an 800 number that they had on their site and spoke to a very helpful representative. And believe it or not, the package arrived in two days by Fed Ex which I didn't pay extra for. Also got a basic version of Corel Painter with it that I upgraded to the full version Painter 8 which by the way I have a love-hate relationship with. Still trying to work up the courage to get something presentable enough to submit on this site using Painter!
Anyway, once I started using the graphics pen, I don't know how I was able to do without it.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware