Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Disappointed with Dell

Old 03-05-2004, 12:01 AM
Pauline - hope it's better soon / college grads in India

Pauline, I hope that your computer is soon back to normal. My understanding is that hard drives will always fail, sooner or later. If we're lucky, they fail when they're still under warranty or after we have upgraded to a new machine. Thanks for another reminder to backup, backup, backup. I have known that for about 20 years now, but I still don't do it as often as I should.

Here's a link to a television program I watched about college grads in India trying to learn English to qualify to work in customer service positions --,00.html

"These young Indians must change their names, modify their accents to be able to toggle between English dialects, and put aside their own cultural identities as they learn to speak and think like their international callers."

It was unnerving to me to watch these young people talking about how they think American, Aussie and English people think and act -- the students tried to sound and act like Americans and Australians, and some of their perceptions sounded like they had been gleaned from watching "action flicks". They were trying to become more "American" or more "Australian", and seemed to be trying to change their cultural upbringing to improve their chances of qualifying for these jobs.

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 03-05-2004 at 12:22 AM. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Still trying to get everything working! The biggest problem is getting all of the drivers up and running, not to mention the software which still has to be reinstalled and configured. I had not realized how much is installed "in the factory".

Back to Dell. I noticed that not only does my service contract include 1 year" in home" but I have some express number I can punch in to move me up in the waiting line. The first time I called last week I had a wait of about 15 minutes- since I noticed I had the express code option the waits went down to a little over 5 minutes. Anyway, I couldn't agree more that the accent is a very major problem. Years ago when I was going to college I had summer jobs working as an information operator for the local phone company. I never thought that some of the skills I learned then would come into play now. Even if it takes much longer with the support person, if I have trouble understanding someone , I just keep repeating words back like " A" for apple etc. I also do not hestitate to tell them to slow down when I find they are going too fast. Another thing I do is tell them I'm a little slow with this new stuff and maybe there is someone else around who might be able to explain it to me better. I really try to use the online help as much as I can but that often leaves alot to be desired also. What I do find the most helpful are forums where you can find users who may have had a problem similar to yours. It never ceases to amaze me how very helpful some people are online. For my part, if I have a possible solution to something I try to respond.

Getting back to Dells computer support, I was astonished to get a call out of the blue from the last tech I spoke with asking me how things were going with my new hard drive. Maybe they are reading this forum!!

I don't know what the answer anymore as to what computer to buy and who gives the best service. Almost seems like just plain luck! But getting back to all of this technical support going overseas- that I have a real problem with given the state of the job market in this country. It is just like the manufacturing jobs that started going overseas gradually and look what's happened there. I understand that alot of medical and financial institutions are outsourcing also. Read that xrays even are being sent somewhere half around the world. Don't know what kind of jobs will be left in this country anymore. Here in South Florida the medical service industry is very big but the pay scales are low. Government service workers seem to be well paid down here(they even pay people quite generously to "serve" on the local school boards).
Well on to open my DeLL!

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2004, 11:05 AM
Well I just purchased my first Dell. It was time to upgrade my poor Pentium II. I haven't taken it out of the box yet, but hope to settled down to the process of installing all my software and moving files this afternoon. Hopefully everything will go smoothly and I won't have to resort to tech support (your experience has me worried).

I purchased the computer online, but before I pressed the final send button I did call customer service with one question on one of the options. They were very pushy to purchase the computer with them vs. online as they get a sales commission and he even threw in guilt that he had taken the time (5 secs...yes/no answer) to answer my question (which by the way is his job). I finally told him that I wasn't ready to purchase the computer yet and he was quite huffy and hung up. Now this person was an American or at least sounded very American. And I'm sure if I started the process of purchasing the computer with him that he would have pushed as many things on me as he could. I must admit I was not happy with his approach, and pray that the rest of the process goes smoothly!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2004, 07:19 AM
Dell Support

I purchaces my Dell about 2 years ago (my first on was an IBM pent 1)
I have had to call Dell support 3 times, 2 software and one hardware problem and all three times the help was very fast and freindly . the one time when the tech. didn't know the answer to my problem he told me so and promptly got some one who did know.
I have nothing but good things to say about Dell's support. I think I must be lucky when I hear about other peoples experiences.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware