RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Got my new printer today!

Old 10-09-2001, 09:04 PM

Ahhh, my computer seems to be having hot flashes. Sorry guys but my review will be delayed for a day. It seems my power supply fan died to the point my computer is too hot to touch (found out when I went to change cables…ouch). Going to see if I can get a replacement tomorrow and a USB cable for the printer. Patience…

-T

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2001, 11:20 PM

Yikes, T!! Maybe it's a good thing you decided to try out the printer - otherwise your computer might have (literally) burnt up! Good luck getting that fixed. -Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2001, 08:18 AM

OK T,

It's 8:15 in Texas here...you been to the store yet and got that computer fixed and that printer hooked up...LOL....

Just had to give you your dose of razzing early today..LOL!

I am also glad you found out about the computer problem while hooking up your printer...the computer might be a little more expensive to replace than the printer.

I know you're disappointed because you didn't get it up and running yesterday but I just know today will be a great day and you'll be up and running in no time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2001, 08:40 AM

This forum is almost like a second family with all the razzing (*grins*). Well the town I am in is not much for computer supplies. I have been calling around and hopefully I can get the part locally, if not I will have to order it. In the mean time I just get to look at my pretty new printer. So my current review is that it is very sleek looking. It is 5 inches wider than my HP 890C DeskJet so I had to shift some things around on my desk and it is about 2 ½” shorter. Hopefully I will get my power supply fan fix today so I can tell you what a great printer it is tomorrow. You know all this was a sign…I was suppose to finish my spackling project before I opened the printer (*grins mischievously*)

-T
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2001, 09:01 AM

Too bad it wasn't a Pentium 3 processor fan. We got one in the mail by mistake and it wasn't worth the postage to return. I would've sent it to you.

Yep, fate says work before fun.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2001, 01:14 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Yeah, it just isn't fair. But the good thing is that my offer still stands.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2001, 05:37 PM

T,

I notice those unprincipled cads at Epson have sold you down the river without a USB cable ! I'm just about to buy a new scanner must check those unprincipled cads at HP don't do the same !!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2001, 08:01 PM

Shameful really considering the price you pay you would think they would include the cable. Well I wasted most of my day at the local computer store so no printer review tonight. While I was out getting a new power supply (new fan didn’t work so I had to replace the whole unit), I asked them which was better a parallel cable or USB for the printer. Their opinion was that the parallel connection was better. Does anyone else have any inputs on this?

-T
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2001, 08:10 PM

T
Our Epson came with cabling to go either way. Dave chose USB because we have a Cannon printer on the parralel port. Check with Epson, you should have gotten the cables. I would have them overnight them.

After saying that I must say even though I understand and sympathize with your plight, it's good to know that I'm not the only one who has these problems with the computer. When we do anything it's like taking 2 steps forward and 3 steps back. I was beginning to think this thing had a mind of it's own and didn't like us.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2001, 08:13 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hi T,

I have the Epson 900, and I run it with the USB cable. Since I never ran it while using the parallel port, I can't *really* compare the difference. But from what I understand, using it with USB results in much faster printing. When printing a color 8 X 10 at best quality (1440 dpi) it seems to be quite slow, but I think that's the nature of the beast. If I'm simply printing text at lowest quality (still very good, but not for photos), the speed seems to me to be very fast. By now, you should be thoroughly confused, and it's time for me to go.

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware