RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Got my new printer today!

Old 10-10-2001, 08:20 PM

DJ,

The box says parallel and USB cable not included. Guess I will venture out again tomorrow to get the USB cable. At least my computer is running again and at a normal temperature.

-T
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2001, 08:22 PM

Ed,

Thanks for the information. I thought a USB connection would be faster. Also this way I can keep my HP printer hooked up through the parallel port.

-T
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2001, 08:33 PM

Well, I guess if the box says it's not included you have to go out and buy it. You would think for the price you are paying they could stick in a cable or two.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2001, 08:37 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Yeah, that seems to be a ripoff. I had to buy mine too.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2001, 08:56 PM

Capitalism....got to make the largest profit possible. I am still excited about the new printer...even if it is lacking the cable.

-T
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2001, 01:56 AM

Every printer I've bought over here has come with a cable(parallel) but that's not been in the box its a handout from the dealer. The cables are about £2 over this side but they are never long enough. I finish up getting the 6' ones as I run two printers and they live on another table.
T, As a matter of interest how long is your USB cable ?

While I've got it in mind are everybodies USB connectors on the back of their computers ? I've often wondered if theres a panel that would enable you to have connectors on one of the spare drive bays on the case front.

Last edited by chris h; 10-11-2001 at 02:08 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2001, 09:28 AM

Just got my computer running AGAIN. The 3.5 floppy died last night....thinking it may have been caused by the computer store I went to yesterday. Personally I think they broke part of the cover into is as it started making a grinding sound. Of course I couldn't prove anything and had to get a new floppy drive, but I picked up my USB printer cable while I was there. Chris, I got a 10' USB cable and I am finally about to set everything up...as long as nothing else dies on my computer. I thought I was just doing house repairs this week... didn't know I would be doing computer repairs as well.

-T
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2001, 10:22 AM

Chris h, If there is room and the internal layout of the computer is right, you can add a USB board and have it facing forward. Another way is to get a USB hub which attaches to an open USB port on the back of your computer and allows for a varing number of USB devices to be plugged into it. The hub can be placed anywhere within length constraints of its cord. Some devices are reported to not function properly when connected in this way, but I've been using a hub for about a year and all the USB devices I've tried have worked well, including my flat bed scanner which is connected by two patched USB cords for a total lenght of 12 feet.
T Paul---Maybe your new printer wants a new computer to play with. Tom

Last edited by thomasgeorge; 10-11-2001 at 10:24 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2001, 11:04 AM

T
You're just having a bummer of a time there. I feel so bad for you and if it's any comfort, that's usually the way it goes for us as well.

Tom
Have you plugged your Wacom into a USB hub? Dave thinks he read where that wouldn't work in a hub and had to be plugged in direct. Just curious because we could use one but that was one factor to consider.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2001, 11:14 AM

Dj, The tablet works fine when plugged into the hub I use. When the hubs first came out for some reason they didnt work well with certain devices, but from what I've seen, that seems to be a thing of the past. However, the hub I use has an independent power supply and perhaps that makes a difference. Tom
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware