RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Got my new printer today!

Old 10-11-2001, 11:30 AM

Thanks Tom. I'll pass that info on to Dave because I know he wants to get a hub since we have so many things that connect to the USB ports.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2001, 11:44 AM

THE REVIEW

Epson Stylus Photo 1280 Review (FINALLY)

Sleek Design
Easy setup
Comes loaded with software:

1. EPSON Software Film Factory: Photo management software that lets you organize, beautify, and print your photos in a flash.

2. Adobe PhotoShop Elements: Offers unique features designed specifically for amateur photographers, hobbyists, and business users who want an easy-t-use yet powerful digital imaging solution

3. Adobe PhotoShop LE: Provides a basic set of the image-editing tools from Adobe PhotoShop

4. Qbeo PhotoGenetics (trial version): Lets the casual computer user improve digital photos dramatically in a matter of seconds.

5. Monaco Systems MonocaEZcolor 2.0 software (demo version): Lets you build ICC device profiles for accurate color between scanned, displayed, and printed images.

One of the differences between the HP 890C and the EPSON 1280 is that the EPSON has a gravity feed device so you load the paper face up whereas the HP you load the paper print side down. You also have a lot more control over your prints from the basics of grayscale or color, paper quality, and paper orientation, to reducing and enlarging your printed image and even adding a watermark. The EPSON Stylus Photo 1280 allows you to stop or pause your print, shows you the estimated time for completion of the print, as well as shows you the ink levels (the color of ink with the least amount left determines the level for all the colors shown). You can also set up default settings which can be very useful if you usually print one type of document in different applications. You can always change the default settings in your application when you want to print different types of documents. The EPSON book explains this in more detail.

The printer also allows you enhance your photos such as adjusting image brightness and contrast and adding special effects. If your photo was taken with a digital camera, select Digital Camera Correction to give your printed images the appearance of photos taken with a film camera. You can ever perform more fine-tuning by selecting from a specialized list of settings for photographs such as People or Nature, or select special filters, such as Soft Focus or a Sepia tint. You can even enhance primarily blues and greens using EPSON Natural Color. This mode restores vivid colors lost due to limitations of digital still cameras and color monitors. Note, PhotoEnhance will not affect your original image; it only affects your printout. The printer software also includes custom project types with preset printing options to allow you to quickly select the best settings for your type of documentation, or select a color-matching method for your project. An example of this is the ICM (Image Color Matching) which is for matching colors as closely as possible with ICM-compatible monitors or scanners.

Overall the Epson 1280 printer has a lot of options especially focused on fine tuning photographic images. I can’t wait to experiment with all the settings. I have done one test print to compare the results with my HP. The EPSON printed much more vivid colors and crisper images. I still need to play with the profiles to get my colors to match up better so my screen images match my printed images, but I definitely think this was a great investment!

-T

(*eyes her computer nervously to make sure that is is still running*)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2001, 11:51 AM

Oops I almost forgot, the best part of the printer is that you can upgrade to the full version of Adobe PhotoShop 6.0 for just $299. I just ordered the full version and it looks like I will be sending it back and going with the Epson offer and saving a few (okay numerous) bucks!

-T
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2001, 11:53 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hi T,

I'm glad you finally got everything on "go" status. Now you can fill your days playing with your new toy. One note on the "ink left" indicator. On mine (the 900), and probably on yours, if you should take a partially used cartridge out of the printer for any reason, then put it back in, the indicator will give a false reading, indicating that you have a full cartridge. Just thought you might want to know since it's not a good idea to completely run a cartridge dry.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2001, 12:15 PM

Thanks ED...I will try to remember that.

-T
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2001, 12:24 PM

Thank for a great review, T! Sounds like a great printer. Maybe someday I'll be able to get one too. Meanwhile, feel free to share any other interesting tidbits you discover as you play with all of the options so I can live vicariously through you.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2001, 12:42 PM

T,

Thanks for the cable info and I offer a cringing apology to HP who provided a 6' USB cable for the scanner (5490c) which I've just got, mainly for digitising transparancies of which I've got thousands. I usually run scanners on SCSI but its USB or parallel with this one. However its been chugging away quite happily on the USB connection so I'm happy.

TG
I'm familiar with the hubs but a couple of front sockets would be handy for a couple of devices I use occasionally and would enable me to connect them rapidly.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware