RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Got my new printer today!

Old 10-08-2001, 05:07 PM

Got my new printer today!

I broke down and ordered an Epson Stylus Photo 1280 printer and it has finally arrived! I can't wait to try it out. The problem is that I am right in the middle of spackling a bathroom wall, and I also want to finish up my pumpkin entry for the manipulation challenge, but most of all I want to play with my new printer. AHHH! I need to scan myself so I can have some copies running around helping me with my list of chores!

-T

(*reluctantly drags self back to spackling project*)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2001, 05:23 PM

t-

i bet your keyboard has telltale white smudges on it. try not to get any in your hard drive

envious congratulations

kc
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2001, 06:12 PM

Spackling ?

Spackling ? Can't find it in my US-English phrasebook.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2001, 06:57 PM

Re: Spackling?

"Spackling" is when you use "spackle" to fill small holes and/or cracks in a wall before painting.

And "spackle" is a trademark (according to my dictionary) for a powder to br mixed with water or a ready-to-use plastic paste.

T, let us know how you like your new printer when you finally get around to trying it out. I'd also be interested in what printer you had previously and how it compares since I'm sure I'll be looking for one in the near future.

Thanks, Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2001, 07:26 PM

Kathleen…well I have managed to keep the white smudges off the keyboard, but not my clothes.

Chris and Jeanie…Actually I am doing big time repairs and covering the entire wall with joint compound also known as spackling or mud. I started removing the wallpaper, but the gypsum board wasn’t painted, so it pulled a lot of the paper off. Figure it would just be easier to cover the entire area with joint compound…planned on giving the wall a texture finish anyway so this saves me a step. Also I am doing two bathrooms, but luckily the other one was done right, so it will go a lot faster…then I can get to the printer!!!

Jeanie, my old printer was a Hewlett Packard DeskJet 890C. I don’t have any complaints about it. I decided it was time to upgrade though as I want to go into the photo restoration and retouching business and from what I read from this forum, Epson seemed the way to go. I’ll post the comparison of the two printers once I finally get to try the new Epson printer out.

Cheers (*wipes joint compound off face*)

-T
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2001, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by T Paul
my old printer was a Hewlett Packard DeskJet 890C.
Perfect! Mine is currently an HP 882C, so your comparison should be quite applicable to my situation.
Thanks, Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2001, 08:04 PM

Smile

Hurry up with your spackling T so I can see how you like your Epson. I got the 2000 and I LOVE it. I haven't had any trouble with it and the prints are beautiful. There is a slight color shift when viewed under different lighting but that's the worst thing I can say about it.

Chris H ~ Are you really having to look up American slang in a book so you can understand us? I know Candid Camera did a spoof on Americans trying to decipher Brit slang and it was so funny. When you asked about spackling, it made me think of that show.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2001, 09:08 PM

A very good choice. You will really enjoy it. Why is it that whenever a new toy arrives, so does a bunch of work to keep one from playing with it? Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2001, 09:25 PM

Dj, Check out this link--it may help you in alleviating the metamerism problem : http://www.tssphoto.com/sp/dg/2000p/metamerism.html Tom.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2001, 09:43 PM

Wow, Thanks Tom
I will definately try that little adjustment suggested in the article. I really only notice it in the reds and greens and usually it's not that bad. I just took it as one of the trade offs for having prints that last a lifetime. I usually go for the daylight viewing rather than light sources. I also copied the article for future reference.
DJ
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware