Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Anyone use a Wacom tablet mouse?

Old 10-09-2001, 07:08 PM
Ed, I use the tablet mostly for masking, otherwise I use a Mircosoft optical Rodent with cord. I guess if one did a lot of work with painting tools and art type work a tablet would be a necessity but otherwise I would have to call it a "nice to have but not vital" item. The optical rat, on the other hand, is, to me anyway, a necessity. Trouble free and reliable. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2001, 07:14 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL

Thanks for the reply. Since art is not my thing, I guess I'll just ask Santa for the optical mouse.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2001, 07:49 PM
I used to think I could control the mouse pretty well until I got the tablet. Now when I try to use the mouse for those fine details I wonder how I ever thought that. Masking is a big reason to use the pen tool and you do a lot of that in Photoshop. Think about it, you grew up using a pen and pencil to write, draw etc. A mouse is like drawing a picture with soap on a rope. It's ok for clicking and scrolling and I still use the mouse for most everything else but when I go into Photoshop, I use the pen. I like the pressure sensitivity that you get with it also. The graphire isn't too bad price wise but only you can decide whether or not it's a necessity. Maybe a new toy for the holidays?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2001, 09:14 PM
Yeah, what DJ said. Mouse good for navigating, bad for Photoshop
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2001, 10:17 PM
Ed, I find I have a lot more control with the tablet than with the mouse - especially useful for selections/masking in PS. But, like I said above, I use it for everything. Part of the reason for that is because I ended up getting pretty bad tendinitis in my index finger from clicking the mouse to rubberstamp out dust specs that inevitably appeared in scans from my old scanner. Got the tablet before a new scanner, so learned to use it for everything and have gotten quite adept at it. At this point, I could go back to using the mouse for navigating (my tenidinitis is healed), but I don't really have a place for it that works ergonomically, so I just keep using the tablet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2001, 10:46 PM
I have a wacom intuous, and before I decided to go with a tablet I was skeptical. I was already too familiar with the mouse, but since I've switched I'm glad I did. It takes a couple days to get used to the pen/tablet. I now use it for almost everything. It's great for graphics. Another benefit is it's saved my wrists, which became painful after only a short time of clicking around with the mouse.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2001, 11:59 PM
MY Wacom mouse

The control the pen/tablet provides is remarkable--once you try it, you'll wonder how you did without it! As for the Wacom mouse, well, mine thinks it's a paperweight---cause that's how I use it!
As for a useful rodent, my choice is a Logitech Trackball Marble. It's very programmable, i.e., you decide which tasks its four buttons will control. I originally went to the Trackball because the dreaded carpal-tunnel monster was closing in on me and ergonomically, the Trackball is friendlier.
The control it affords is second only to the tablet/pen--my sons insist it gives me an unfair advantage playing Snood and various other necessary things
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2004, 03:14 PM
Cool Cordless Mice

Originally Posted by DJ Dubovsky
With the recent thread about computer mice, I wondered if anyone who has a Wacom tablet also uses the mouse that goes with it. I like the idea of a cordless, batteryless optical mouse so I was hoping someone may have had experience with it.
I use the mouse regularly with my graphire tablet, the pen is better for detail work, but then a mouse was never made for photo work anyway. The feel of the mouse is wierd at first, but it did'nt take long to get used to the feel, and it's great having no cord to get in the way. But $70 sounds steep.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2004, 06:41 AM
I also have the "poverty model" wacom tablet and I use the pen exclusively even for day to day web browsing. I find that the pen gives a lot less wrist stess than a mouse. I found a bit of a learning curve to the pen, Give it a chance and you'll find that most tasks are faster than with a mouse.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Re: Anyone use a Wacom tablet mouse?

I'm fond of the Wacom tablet but for some types of work, I need to type with both hands. It's so much faster. In between I use the mouse cursor. Then it's so much faster to use the Wacom mouse.

I made some adjustments to the scroll wheel of the wacom mouse though.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware