RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Anyone use a Wacom tablet mouse?

Old 10-08-2001, 09:09 PM

Anyone use a Wacom tablet mouse?

With the recent thread about computer mice, I wondered if anyone who has a Wacom tablet also uses the mouse that goes with it. I like the idea of a cordless, batteryless optical mouse so I was hoping someone may have had experience with it.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2001, 11:36 PM

I have the Wacom tablet with the cordless mouse - BUT I never use the mouse! I just don't like the way it feels and I've never been able to adjust it to move around the screen to my liking. You can adjust the speed and "warp speed" of the mouse/cursor, but I've never been able to make it feel like a regular mouse. Plus, I've gotten so adept at using the pen, that I just use it all of the time.

Don't know how much that info helps, but if it were me, I would not buy the tablet for the cordless mouse. (Besides, you still have to deal with the cord to the tablet - though granted, it's stationary.)

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2001, 08:46 AM

I also have a Wacom with mouse but never use the rodent as it is simply a pain. I have a Microsoft optical rat with the tail and it works great, but then I'm no artist, so a couple of feet of cord isnt a problem. The "wireless" ones I've seen leave me just a little cold...perhaps something better is in the planning though. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2001, 08:53 AM

Smile

Now I feel better. I, too, have the Wacom tablet. I use the pen, but I couldn't get used to the mouse.

I still don't use the pen all of the time but I love it for the more detailed work. I'm left-handed but trained myself to use the mouse right-handed. I now go back and forth, using the pen with my left hand for the finer work and the mouse with my right hand for easier work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2001, 09:47 AM

Smile

Thanks guys for the very helpful info. At $70 to add a mouse to my tablet, I thought I would see what others thought of it before I laid out that much money. Since we need a mouse and I knew there was a cordless one with no batteries that goes with my Intous tablet, I thought it was worth checking into. Doug had mentioned in another thread on mice that the battery ones were a pain and expensive because the batteries that don't last so I thought the Intous mouse would be a good alternative and I already had the tablet. But now I think I will just get a regular optical mouse that fits our needs but has a cord. I knew you guys were valuable sources of info. Thanks again.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2001, 05:05 PM

Can you chaps and chapesses tell me which model/version tablets you use. I've seen the Graphire one but that seemed to be the poverty model. Is the A4 size the best ?

Thanks

Last edited by chris h; 10-09-2001 at 05:08 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2001, 05:49 PM

Chris, I have the "poverty level" Graphire. Having never used anything else, I can't tell you how it compares to the larger ones. But I really love it. It's small, but given that I'm not an artist and never have very good luck with large sweeping motions, the small size is just perfect for me. Plus, it fits right next to my keyboard. Not sure where I'd put a larger one. If I need to do real intricate selections, I enlarge my photo up to 4-500% anyway, so detailed work is not a problem with the smaller tablet. I haven't really done much work where various pen pressures are concerned, so wouldn't know how the limited "steps" of the Graphire limits me.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2001, 06:11 PM

Chris
Check out this forum thread. We talk about the tablets and in it I posted a list of the difference between the Graphire verses the Intous tablets. I have the Intous 6x8 and that seems to be plenty big enough. I think any bigger is actually over kill. I love the Wacom product but I can't compare it to any other graphic tablets from other companies.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2001, 07:05 PM

I also have the "entry level" Wacom tablet and it works pretty well. I dont do a whole lot of work with it, as Art is not my strong point, but for masking and certain other tasks, it seems to do OK and the price was right...left more money to spend on plug-ins. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2001, 07:55 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Never having used a tablet, I find all this info interesting. Since so many people use it, what makes a tablet so much better than a mouse? Tom, you said that you don't do an awful lot of work with it. When you're not using it, are you simply using the ordinary rodent?

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware