Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Video Cards

Old 05-28-2002, 12:31 AM
Anywhere you can fit memory is good (including in your head), but I was referring to on the video card.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2002, 02:49 AM
To come back to Sharon's original question, the GeForce chip is not made by ASUS, it's made by nVidia. ASUS put their own electronics on the card, but the GPU they have to buy from nVidia. I don't think there will be too much wrong with the ASUS card as the nVidia reference drivers work with cards produced by all the manufacturers using nVidia chips. The only thing that is slightly worrying to me is that the GeForce2 is relatively "old" technology.

Since the TnT1, nVidia has produced the most popular game GPUs around. (I'm still running a TnT1.) IMHO, the nVidia chips are better than Matrox chips. (I had an incredible amount of trouble trying to get a G400 to work in a PC with a VIA chipset.)

Something else worth looking at is the ATi Radeon based cards (so what's wrong with buying a Canadian product ).
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2002, 08:18 AM
oooh Doug.. you've done it now.. tempted me with that Matrox card. We always want the newest toy.. sigh

Just got done buying my system and it already wants improvements.

I also checked out the G450 and noticed there is a 550. Any opinions on that one?

(um... emm..ATi, but also Matrox is a Canadian company too . Made right here in my home town Dorval.)

maybe I should check their trash.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2002, 07:43 PM
I've been running the Matrox 550 for about two weeks now and I'm using two Samsung 17" monitors. I LOVE IT! The dual screen capabilities really make setting up your workspace an easy task. I'm running both the monitors at 1024x768 @ 85 Hz and there hasn't been a single problem at all.

The 550 also allows you to run the individual monitors at different resolutions if you choose to do so. I am not a gamer, so I can't comment on the card's abilities (or lack thereof) as far a gaming goes!

For Photoshop, Page Layout or Video Work, this card is the way to go IMHO!

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware