Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Why the price difference?

Old 06-29-2004, 03:27 AM
Why the price difference?

This forum is great for finding out what products people use and recommend. A long thread like the recent poll contains lots of useful info.

However, as a tablet newbie, the question most difficult to get an answer to is why does an Aiptek tablet cost $95, a Wacom Graphire cost $180 and a Wacom Intuos cost $270 (all A6 size)? All seem to have similar resolution and pressure sensitivity. Only Wacom seems to have a batteryless pen.

What exactly are you getting for your money?

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2004, 04:21 AM
Of the Wacom tablets, the Graphire has 512 levels of sensitivity and the Intuos 1024. The Intuos also has a menu strip and supports ToolID and various accessories that the Graphire doesn't. I believe that the Intuos also supports tilt while the Graphire diesn't. In addition the Intuos has a longer warranty.

The Aiptek also has 512 levels of sensitivity (same as the Graphire, less than the Intuos) and I think on paper has similar functionality and specs to the Graphire. Of people who've used both Aiptek and Wacom tablets most seem to prefer the Wacom based on comments I've heard and read. Personally I've never used an Aiptek so I can't comment. I do love my Intuos, though .
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2004, 06:30 AM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
If you're not in a hurry, I think you can find special sales on the Wacom tablet. I have the Graphire, but rarely use it. Most people, however, swear by the tablets.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2004, 08:14 PM
I bought the small Wacom Tablet last year sometime, and the only time I use my mouse anymore is when I need real dead-eye accuracy. An example of that would be certain selections. That and when I need to scroll alot.

Other than that, it's all tablet!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2004, 10:42 PM
Question Other Brands

I am going to ask a similiar question. I noticed there are other brands of tablets out there other then the two already mentioned. Is there a comparitable brand to Wacom.

Thanks for the advise.

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2004, 08:32 AM
The only time I hear about a non-Wacom brand is when someone is complaining about it. Buy the best Wacom you can afford, skimp on size rather than features if you must. My 4x5 is plenty big for my retouching needs, but I do wish I had some of the newer features introduced since I bought it (1024 levels, tilt, etc.).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware