RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

My latest toy (a new scanner)

Old 10-18-2001, 09:46 AM
Janitor

You're probably not missing a thing, except for an off switch. Its a disturbing trend that started a couple of years ago. My own scanner has no off switch, which bothers me a great deal.

My next scanner will have one, even if I have to pass on current favorites. I don't trust a machine without an off switch.

Mine (an HP) has locked up so often, and you wouldn't believe the contortions I've gone through to try to reset it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2001, 09:58 AM

What is the logic in that? Why would they not put an off switch on it? Do they expect you to leave it on constantly or keep pulling out the plug? If that's the case I think I will have to put it on a power train with a switch easily accessible. That's crazy. I guess if I have a con on this machine that would be it. I plan to question Epson about that. Maybe they will put switches back on their machines. The printer has an off on switch. Thanks for letting me know I'm not going blind Doug.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2001, 10:00 AM

Wow DJ,

May not be a turn off switch..I know mine has one right on the lower front but like I say mine is the 1640 so not sure on yours.

Doug,

The problems you are having with the HP is the exact reason I decided not to go with HP again...got sick and tired of all the problems with 3 different HP's I had tried.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2001, 01:45 PM

Thumbs down

Problem solved, I added an external switch. Works fine now. I do notice that when not in use the light goes out so that is good but I still think not having an off switch is stupid. However, I say it's a workable problem that doesn't take away from the great results I've gotten from it so far.

Doug, the switch is an easy fix where as the features they come with can't be added so you might want to rethink putting a switch on your priority list of features.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2001, 03:05 PM
Janitor

Except that (in my case) no off/on switch also means no reset. So if it freezes in mid-scan (which happens too frequently) all the powering on and off in the world won't unstick it. No on/off switch basically means its meant to be 'on' all the time, so no provision for poweron diagnostics, etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2001, 04:11 PM

Makes sense and luckily I haven't had it freeze up on me. Never had my Plustek scanner freeze up on me either for that matter. That could be a real bummer.

Well I scanned some standard slides as the recommended 3200 dpi. They take a little while to scan (minute or so) but I like the quality. Granted it may not be what the high end film scanners can do but I don't have one to compare results. I am pleased.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2001, 04:14 PM
Janitor

That's double your optical resolution, which is basically the same as upsampling in Photoshop
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2002, 01:46 PM

Question 1650 VS 1650 Photo

DJ,

I was just reading the Amazon reviews for the Epson Perfection 1650 Photo scanner and many were unhappy with it. They had serious trouble setting it up, especially if they had XP. Also many said that the scans came out speckled with dust. I was wondering if you had experienced any of this? The reviews for the Epson Perfection 1650 (regular version…doesn’t have the built in transparency adapter) were much better than its “Photo” counterpart. Anyway, the reason behind this is that I am about to finally purchase a new scanner (since XP killed my old one) and was just trying to narrow it down. I must admit that the Amazon reviews of the 1650 Photo have made me a bit nervous as most reviews were on the negative side. If anyone has some inputs on this topic, please let me know! THANKS!

-T
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2002, 02:06 PM

T
I'm running it on XP and it's working fine. Epson site has a download support for XP and Dave installed it when he added the scanner to my new machine. Can't say if there is a difference with the 1650 vs the photo since I've not seen their results side by side. I can't see how they would be any different and the dust may be caused by removing the document cover to use the transparancy feature. But that also means that it isn't cleaned before scanning. I haven't read the reviews at Amazon so I will check it out. But for the money I think any Epson machine is good.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2002, 02:20 PM

i'm happy for you dj. somehow missed this thread. am very impressed about your adding a switch, no idea how you would do that. hope you will pay off said toy with increased business. need smilie with crossed fingers. working on getting everybody together to come over and try it out.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware