RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

My latest toy (a new scanner)

Old 01-05-2002, 10:19 PM

Kathleen
To add an external switch you just plug the scanner into a power strip that has a switch on it and make the switch easy to get at. I have since stopped using the switch idea since we reconfigured for the new computer and just let the scanner go into sleep mode instead. Doesn't seem to be a problem.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2002, 03:42 PM

Scanners

I'm needing a good scanner. I'm a photographer.

Glad you're happy with the Perfection.

"d-max" is the density (or detail) you can see reproduced in the shadows of the transparency or print you've scanned.

Do a scan and compare it to the amount of detail you can see in the original. Tell me how well you see the blacks and details in the shadows exactly as the original.

I'd be curious to know. Thank you.

Robert Allen
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2002, 04:04 PM

Robert
My old scanner was a Plustek and I had to scan twice to bring in the details in the shadows. Not with the Epson. I have compared them to the originals and it's amazing the details that are visible. I even went and rescanned all may wedding photos that were scanned on the old machine and the difference was unbelievable. If there is a difference from the original, I can't see it. In the specs it's listed as 3.2. Oh, thanks for clearing up that confusion on the density. Never new for sure if it was the dmax or not and didn't want to make assumptions.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2002, 03:13 AM

I also have a new scanner ,a microtek 5600. flatbed .
it has an optical resolution of 2400ppi. the cost ran about $150 and included a portable CD player.

Christmas also resulted in a MTMA a most unlikely transparency adapter [at first sight] which has it's own cold cathode tube calibrating the adapter. with the adapter the whole flatbed of slides can be scanned, the scan speed is reasonably quick.

I am sure a slide scanner would produce better results however the results are to my general satisfaction. It produces scans in the 12 meg range enough to produce a 300 dpi large print .

This together with a new cannon 600 printer and the good fortune of finding this group leaves me frankly in HOG HEAVEN...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2002, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Dubovsky
Chris
I don't know what it is I'm converted from. 'comp.periphs.scanners' on usenet?? What is that?
DJ, comp.periphs.scanners is a newsgroup on usenet that is specifically geared toward the use of and discussion of scanners and related software. You can usually pick up all kinds of tips and tricks through there!

By the way, I've had my Epson 1640 for about 6 months now and it outshines my old HP by untold amounts! As for the power switch, mine still has one but I never use it since it is wired into a desktop, switched surge supressor. I simply hit the button on the surge supressor and it's up and running. You had the right idea!

Randy
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2002, 02:15 PM

Thanks Randy. Yes, I am familiar with that news group. It is a good source of info. I used to plug in my scanner that way but since the new computer came and we rearranged everything I just let it go into sleep mode.
DJ
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware