RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Scanning Resolution

Old 10-23-2001, 10:33 AM

Jeanie,

By the way, what part of Colorado are you in. I used to live in Cheyenne, Wyo. Haven't been back there in quite a while, and I'm sure it's changed quite a bit. Still have a couple of friends in Leadville, Colo.

Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2001, 10:45 AM

Check out the thread I just started in Salon entitled "Regards from northern Colorado". I live just outside of Fort Collins, pretty darn close to Cheyenne.

Where is Glen Cove in NY? I grew up in NJ - 60 miles south of NYC. Went to school in Vermont (UVM).

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2001, 11:30 AM

I am using the Epson 1270 and I had same questions in reference to what resolution I should be printing at. Contacted Epson and after a lot of e-mails I got to an engineer who advised me to use 240 or 360 as the resolution when I printed out photographs. I scan the photographs , slides or negatives at the highest resolution available on my scanner. I then use GF software to resize it and set the printing resolution.

I normally use 240, which usually provides all the detail I want, but when I am looking to print small details I use 360. The problem with using 360 is the large files.

George
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2001, 11:34 AM

Well now, someone who actually has "official" information! Thanks for piping up George!

And welcome to the RetouchPro forums!!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2001, 11:47 AM

Smile

Jeanie,

Glen Cove is on the north shore of Long Island, just east of Port Washington, if you know where that is. Pretty area. Looks just like New England, in the fall when you get onto some of the back roads. Vermont is my favorite place on the east coast. We have a place up near Stowe.

And actually, I did wander into the Salon after I wrote my question -- silly me!

Larry

Last edited by Larry; 10-23-2001 at 11:55 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2001, 11:52 AM

George,

Thanks much. Between yours and Jeanie's help I should wind up with an acceptable print. It does get a bit confusing at times swithching your thinking between scanner and printer resolutions.
To me, anyway.
Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2001, 12:03 PM

Geroge,

Meant to ask you, by "GF" do you mean "Genuine Fractals?" If so, How do you like it?

Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2001, 12:08 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hey George, glad to have you aboard. Welcome! Some of the experts are now suggesting that printing a Photoshop image with a resolution of 150 is sufficient for photographic quality (printer set at 1440 dpi in Larry's case). I know there are many who will dispute this number, but my suggestion to Larry (or anyone else) would be to make a print with the Photoshop resolution at 300, and another at 150. Compare the results. The file size of the higher (300) resolution will be 4 times the size of the smaller (150) resolution for the *same size print*, because there will be 4 times as many pixels. You should use the smallest file size that will fill your needs. A smaller file size will print easier, it will run much better in Photoshop, and it will take up less room on your hard drive. The results might be more noticeable with fine detail as George suggests. Just my opinion. You need to make up your own mind after making the comparisons.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2001, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the insight, Ed. I'll do that test tonight.

Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2001, 04:43 PM

Larry and Ed hello, I am glad I found this forum.

First to Larry's question yes by GF I meant " Genuine Fractals". I have been using it for over three years and really like it. It must be pointed out that to get good results then the scanned image must have good details and be scanned at a high resolution. I mainly scan from negatives, some times slides. I scan these at 2400 resolution and twice the size of the 35mm negative or slide. This gives me very large files, but does allow me to enlarge them up to 12 x 18 with little or no loss in details. I can not print large than this so I am not sure how large one could blow up a image and keep good detail.

Ed about the resoultion used for printing, in addition to the engineer at Epson, I have talked to a number of other technicial individuals and based on a number of test that I conducted over a period of time, I have found (they had advised this) from my test that the printing resolution should be a even division of the printing resolution of the printer. I am using an Epson 1270 which has a resolution of 1440 by 720 dpi . When I divide this out to get an even number I come up with 180 (8 divided into 1440), 240 (6), 360 (4), and 720 (2). If I was using the 720 printing resolution I could use 120 (6 divided into 720) 240 (3) or 360 (2). If your printer was printing at a resolution of 600 then the input resolution could be 100,150, 200, or 300.

In my test I lost a lot using the lower figure of 180 when printed at both 720 or 1440 dpi. When I went to 240 I got good results at both 720 and 1440. When I used 360 I could see with the help of a 8X Lupe better detail in the smaller parts of the print. Especially when printed at 1440, using print profiles to match the paper being used. As I said this does create some large files. I even tried a large file at 720, could not tell any difference from the 360 setting, but created a file of over 480Megs, which really slowed down the printing. I would never use that high a resolution, in my opinion it does not give me any better print that the 360 does.

I normally print using a resolution of 240 at either 720 or 1440 depending on the subject, and switch to the 360 when I feel I need it to get sharper detail in the smaller parts.

I must also turn on no color change and turn off the high speed printing on the printer.

To get around the large file storage by putting the master copies on CD's and I have installed a second 20 gigabit hard drive to use as a sratch file and to store the images I am working on. My primary disk is 38 gigabits and I keep the operation sysyem and other software on it. I do use it ffor working images some times.

Hope this helps answer the question.

George
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware