RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Son of Mouse Talk

Old 10-28-2001, 11:38 AM
Janitor

I guess the lesson here is to find what you're comfortable with, and use it. And everyone will have differing opinions on what they're comfortable with. But what works, works.

I've used that Kensington ball, and it is quite nice. The difference (in my opinion) is the size and heft of the ball. It's quite enormous, and feels very heavy. These both give a feeling of security and precision. The company makes several models, most of which are knock-offs of competing models. But the one that looks like a billiard ball in an ashtray is the one to try.

As for the new breed of optical mice, they have no moving parts (save the click switches). A tiny 'camera' looks at the surface and detects any motion. Sounds a bit iffy, but in practice works quite well. They work on any surface as long as there's some sort of texture for the camera to see (I've yet to find one that didn't work...perhaps black glass). I can imagine possibly having to wipe the lens off with your finger every once in awhile, but in over a year I've not had to do even that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2001, 12:59 PM

Doug,

I've noticed that the sensor light in the Logitech mouse never actually goes out but flickers away (at a reduced intensity) when dormant. How this affects battery consumption remains to be seen
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2001, 01:16 PM
Janitor

Corded version is the same. If it went out, how would it know if it moved?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2001, 01:40 PM

True enough Doug ! Of course the body of the beast is translucent so the sensor light is always in the corner of your eye.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2001, 06:53 PM

Logitech cordless is still flashing away when I douse the candelabras at night so that makes about two weeks so far ! I was going to try it on USB but found all four slots taken.

My mother uses an Agfa CL18 digi which is very basic having no detachable media just internal storage giving a choice of 16 decent snaps or 32 indifferent ones. She carts it around and I download and print anything she thinks of merit, usually the local townswomans guild whisky sampling evening etc. Just to get to the point having used four digi cameras in the past few years none have a standard male socket at the camera end, so don't assume you can hot swap your camera with the printer or whatever USB cable.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2002, 08:59 AM
Janitor

My mouse died :(

I now have the problem I was mentioning to Chris, my MS optical mouse has taken to periodically turning it's LED completely off, which leaves it in an unrecoverable state. All I can do is unplug it and plug it back in, but that only helps for awhile.

Guess I'll go mouse shopping. Any new favorites in the optical arena?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2002, 02:29 PM

The Logitech is still working ok and a pair of NiMh AA's run it for a month before recharging. Doesn't fit the hand as well as a Microsoft mouse though. If M'soft bring one out I'll have one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2002, 04:09 PM
Janitor

This is so strange my mind is still reeling...

I called MS to ask about my mouse problem...they took my name and address and said they'd ship a replacement out right away! They didn't even ask for a credit card! And they told me not to ship the old one back!

Strange (but in a good way)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2002, 05:53 PM

Wow, can't beat that. Better than having to get a new one. My guess is that they already knew of this problem and have had to replace more than yours and that's why no questions were asked. But what counts is that you get a new mouse.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2002, 10:19 PM
Janitor

That was my initial take, too. But then I started thinking that they are Microsoft, after all, so they probably knew who I was and everything MS related that I owned even before they answered my call.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware