RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Worshipping False Gods!

Old 12-27-2004, 11:48 AM

You're probably right Doug. But since the only thing you can get at in a "bubble" iMac is the hole where you can add memory or an Airport card, if that error is an indication of a mis-seated component, that iMac needs to go back to it's previous owner and he needs to be beaten with a used keyboard.

I get really ticked when someone abuses a Mac

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2005, 08:28 AM

Got the news from Edinburgh today that the errant Mac surrendered and is now subserviant to it's master. In other words a mutual friends Mac savvy 18 year old daughter arrived with some heavy artillery and sorted it out via a reinstall of the operating system (v8.2 ?) and some hard copy ISP info supplied by myself. He's now got an Internet/e-mail connection at home and she went away with an unexpected £50 tip. Everybodies happy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2005, 08:55 AM

If I had known there was money involved, I would have tried harder

Glad it got sorted!

Alas, my own troubles are just beginning and I'm soon being forced to move to a Window machine while my trusty PowerBook goes in for repairs.

I can't think what happened to it. I just opened it up the other morning and the track pad refused to work. External mouses (mice) wouldn't work either and my trusty Wacom Graphire 3 tablet saved me from total despair.

A day on the phone with Apple tech people revealed that for another $650 CAD I could talk to them for free for another 2 years beyond the existing 1 year of free talking to them and after following their advice of zapping the PRAM, I should schlepp the computer over to the local repair shop and let them have a look at it.

The computer will likely require major surgery so I'm frantically sorting through the detritus of the past several years trying to decide what is worth preserving. Image files can be transferred to the Windows machine, but most of the rest wouldn't survive the move

Maybe the problem will be bad enough that Apple will just replace it - yeh right!

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2005, 09:08 AM

How old is your powerbook M?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2005, 09:20 AM

It's only 6 months old - still under warranty - but fixing it is going to be a long involved process I'm afraid.

This problem is due to heat I think and I'm afraid the internal organs have welded themselves together causing strange behavior when I try to type or use the trackpad.

I had a bad feeling about this machine when I took it out of the box. It's had a hex on it from the getgo. When the dude in the store was putting the sale through he did something wrong and Mastercard voided the transaction and temporarily suspended my card - that was a sign of bad things to come and I should have heeded it

I really think my best course of action is to get a new iBook and when this one gets repaired, sell it on eBay or leave it on a park bench or something. I know I'd be much happier.

emailing has been difficult the past few days. This morning things seem to be working better so I'm trying to get caught up

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2005, 11:01 AM

I reallly couldnt use a MAC, its bad enough having a mouse with only one button, but the amount of time it would take me to get used to a whole new OS and set of instructions would not make it worth my time,

Windows will have to do for now, unless Mr Microsoft and Mr Mac get together and reinvent the computer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2005, 11:32 AM

I've been on the verge of buying a laptop several times M but have never made the jump. I'd probably go Windows if I did although the Mac stuff looks pretty compared to the heavy duty look of the Dell's.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Janitor

I'll probably buy a Mac next upgrade, if for no other reason than I've lost more than enough work by not using Macs to pay for even the priciest system.

That's the dirty little secret no one ever talks about. Specs aside, if the person offering work is a Mac user and you aren't, kiss the job goodbye. I've polished my logical arguments to a sparkling glisten, but it almost never works.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2005, 04:38 PM

Product not platform Doug!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Janitor

You'd think that would be the case, but it just ain't so. It took a conference call with a couple of publishing mucky-mucks for it to finally dawn on me. We'd been negotiating for a few weeks via email for me to be involved in a pretty big production, and were finally putting the finishing touches on the deal when it came up tangentally that I was a PC user. Their assumption had been so strong it never occurred to them that they needed to ask. But I might as well have mentioned in passing that I ate puppies and kittens. I didn't get the job, even though it would be done via FTP and email and my responsibilities involved only text, not even image files.

Logic doesn't work because it's not a logical argument (and overly-logical people seem to gravitate towards the PC, which doesn't help matters). I've recently been exchanging emails with a gentleman that supervises 1500 full-time Photoshop users. Logically, they should use PCs since it would probably save $1000 per person per year and they'd have a much larger potential hiring base, and it's such a prestigious position he could order them to work with sticks on sand and they gladly would do it. But over the past decade he's discovered the intangibles were more valuable than the tangibles, so logic loses out to pragmatism.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware