RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

PC Vs MAC ?

View Poll Results: Do you use a Mac, PC, both or other ?
PC 125 57.87%
Mac 55 25.46%
Both 35 16.20%
Other 1 0.46%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2005, 10:47 PM

I learned to use photoshop and a lot of other graphics programs on both Mac and Windows systems. Neither system has been better than the other in terms of ease of use or in quality. I agree with everyone who has said it is the software and not the OS.

In terms of the OS, since XP came around it has improved the windows operating system, in terms of stability, quite a bit. Yes the windows system is huge but so are todays hard drives so that is not really an issue anymore.

Seeing as how replacing all my software would be more exensive then replacing my computer, I'll be sicking with my windows OS.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2005, 01:29 AM

I did'nt say I'd prefer a Ford to a Mercedes, just that they were no more reliable. I'm not trying to criticise people's choice of car (or computer), merely pointing out that we often have a perception of reliability that is not bourne out by the statistical evidence. MTBF (mean time between failures) is not significantly different between Fords and Mercedes, (or PCs and Macs). Personal experience of either can not really be taken into account, as you may have owned atypical examples. I know we all judge by personal experience, but to be fair to either manufacturer, its the statistical evidence that is the more accurate indicator.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2005, 07:27 AM

I'm just going to quote from PC Magazine - October 2004....
------
According to the most recent survey of Consumer Reports magazine readers, Apple ranked best for reliability for desktop computers, followed in order by Dell, IBM, and Hewlett-Packard. Apple also received the highest rating for laptop reliability, with Toshiba, Sony, and IBM following suit.

Apple also ranked at the top for technical support with both desktop and laptop users, according to Consumer Reports readers. Following (in order) were Gateway and Dell with desktop support and IBM and Gateway for laptop users.

http://www.infotoday.com/linkup/lud1...sborough.shtml
------
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2005, 08:11 AM

My son and his family have a Mustang car, a cute 4X4 truck that they can all ride in, but if they need to haul anything they have to borrow the father-in-law's real 1/2 ton and in winter if my son takes the 4X4 out of town on business, my daughther-in-law borrows my old Dodge Colt for running errands because it's more stable on ice than the Mustang is (although the Mustang makes a better fashion statement at the beach in the summertime)

I use a Mac PowerBook for surfing the web and email and most of my computering (I do a lot since I'm a retired computer programmer) and I can usually (but not always) find software to do what I want to do on the Mac. When I can't find software to accomplish what I want on the Mac, I switch to my WindowsXP laptop and use that instead. I'm thinking of getting a 3rd laptop to run Linux on so I have an even broader range of software available.

I've go lots of software for both computers - some of it works on both - and lots of peripherals - mouses, keyboards, printers, scanners etc. they all work on both. Both computers connect wirelessly to the internet without a hitch using the same router.

I've bought lots of Macs and some of them were lemons so I returned them immediately to the store - my rule is if it doesn't work out of the box, it ain't never gonna work - and while I was still employed, I had several different Windows based machines. I'm a programmer so I'm likely to do things that annoy the computer and I can't honestly say that the Macs were less annoyed than the Windows machines.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that a computer is a tool. It's meant to do a job. No one computer is meant to do EVERY job. Use the one that does the jobs that you need done and let other folks use the computer that does the jobs that they need done and lets all try to get along.

Trying to argue that one computer is better than any other is like trying to tell my son's family what kind of car(s) to buy - unless they buy a whole fleet, there will still be times when they will have to borrow or rent extra wheels.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2005, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson
its the statistical evidence that is the more accurate indicator.
ok ..... I'll stick with the statistical evidence and enjoy my computer of choice. <grin>
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2005, 10:38 AM

I was never arguing that one was better than the other. Quite the opposite in fact. I just stated that there was little or no qauntifiable difference in the reliability of Macs over PCs, and that therefore it should'nt be used as a reason to buy one in preference to the other.

As Margaret quite rightly says, horses for courses.

Just as an addition. Margaret, I worked in electronics/computer repair for about 20 yrs. 90%+ of all electronics equipment fails in either the 1st couple of weeks, or the last weeks of their projected lives. A graph of this is often known as "the bathtub of faults" because of its charecteristic shape.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2005, 11:33 AM

Gary, Consumer's Report, the independent research company, must have found something to quantify their findings. Sorry, if this differs from your experience, but I'm just quoting the big guns.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2005, 04:31 PM

Hi Swampy,

My own statistics are based on in house data, supplied to me by a friend who works in the workshop of one of the UK’s largest computer retailers and repairers (I used to work for them). Because the data is confidential and he would be liable to disciplinary action, I won’t say which.

It is based on a comparison of sales returns versus returns for repair. When dates of sale and repair are factored in, a table of MTBF for various manufacturers was compiled.

This was based on over a million sales, so the data is statistically significant.

As I said before, Macs were one of the most reliable, but no more so than several PC manufacturers.

What was significant, was the difference in out of warranty repair costs. These were significantly higher in Macs, due almost entirely to the cost of spares (one of the disadvantages of a monopoly of supply).

Even if we take your figures as correct, and Macs are more reliable, it still does’nt offset the increased cost of repair if things go wrong (and we can’t assume they won’t).

I think that’s really all I have to say on this topic, back to the real interest retouching.

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 03-16-2005 at 03:07 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2005, 06:20 AM

This has to be one of my favourite topics

Hi,

I made the switch from PC to MAC just over a year ago and I have never looked back. Actually looking back....I have found that I have converted a staggering 10 people to dump their PCs and replace it with a MAC....all the while not owning a single MAC share

My arguments (I think) are simple:

You really have to ask yourself what you use your computer for (and sadly) be harsh when answering the question.

True: PCs (especially) desktops can be cheaper but only when you compare power per US$ spent. Also true that if you buy a desktop then the screen quality really depends on what monitor you get; the sky is the limit.

Clearly more people have PCs then MACs but hey people don't go around claiming that Ford makes better cars than Ferrari or that a sony 727 camera is better than a canon rebel (at least I did not compare it to the 1Ds). The point comes to this: is the money that you pay worth the product that you buy?

I find (and have somehow converted the converts) that people mostly use their computer for emails; internet; multimedia and when you go professional (in terms of media) for repro production etc.

In terms of home usage (please pay attention): THE MAC IS FAR AHEAD!!!!

The package that Apple offers today (in terms of the mac mini, iMac and iBook/Powerbook) is far ahead of any equivalent PC. The trick really is the MAC OS. Panther was a gain leap ahead for Apple. Bundled with it you get iLife. The only real addition you may require (if you transfer a lot between the MAC and PC) is Microsoft X or 2004. That completes your package and what a package it is.

Look at iPhoto. There is simply no equivalent in PC. Bundle it with .mac and you can publish to the web; print books with Apple (which are very reasonable) and create albums which take normal people a life time. If you work with music look no further than garage band; movies: imovie and idvd and to store your songs you of course have iTunes. If you bought this off the shelf (and it comes with every MAC - preinstalled) its US$69!!!!

Wish to set up a home network; its as easy as pie. Sure they Airport express may cost US$29 more but look at what you are getting. Stream your music; broadband; and attach a printer.

With home users (really just playing around) how much power do they need and then again how much do they utilise. People fall easily in the trap of buying the best because it is marketed so efficiently.

Wait till Tiger (new OS upgrade) comes out before 1st Half of 2005. 1st Half of 2005? In the words of Steve Jobs: "Longhorn is a long time away" This is not a marketing gimmick but a fact. It has a built in search tool integrated into the OS. So does PC you say. Well if you want to see what it can really do - have a look at www.apple.com or better yet

to make up your mind I would suggest that you see Steve's keynote speech and decide for yourself.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf05/

The sum is that MAC OS is far more stable than the PC. In all my time of using my computer, I have used the equivalent of ctrl-alt-del ONCE! How many PC users can say that?

If its raw power per us$ that you need - but the PC. If its ease of use; amazing free applications (see quick silver) and a beautiful product that does what it says buy a MAC.

I have always felt that a few extra dollars is worth the peace of mind. Some people don't agree.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Sansuci

p.s. I just see someone has used the ford analogy in another thread. sorry!

As for reliability I certainly and absolutely disagree! If you only talk of reliablity i.e. does the machine work then maybe. If its under warranty apple will replace it. But what concerns me more is day to day working reliability. Panther that way is FAR SUPERIOR!

The reason why Panther is better is because it is based on a UNIX platform. Also it has embedded in it: Pre-emptive Multitasking; Multithreading; Symmetrical multiprocessing; Dynamic memory allocation; and Memory processing. Space too short to explain all of this - you can google it. However have a look at these articles:

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma.../keynotes.html

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...0/panther.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2005, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson
Even if we take your figures as correct, and Macs are more reliable, it still does’nt offset the increased cost of repair if things go wrong (and we can’t assume they won’t).
Well of course it does Gary. Wouldn't it depend on how many times the hardware would need repaired?? Are you saying a twice repaired Mac (out of warranty) would be more expensive than a PC repaired 8 times? (and who knows what is being repaired - I'm sure that would be a factor)

Since switching to Mac computers in 1993, I guess I've been incredibly lucky or fortunate. I've owned a Centris 610, then a 7200, next an 8600, a G4/450, G4 1gig dual and currently a G5 2gig dual. All used in a professional environment. I've had 1 (ONE) instance for repair - a bad video card. As far as reliability - I'd be a tough sell to go to a PC.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware