Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

View Poll Results: Do you use a Mac, PC, both or other ?
PC 125 57.87%
Mac 55 25.46%
Both 35 16.20%
Other 1 0.46%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Happy Apple user since 1979 or 1980 (I think)
Happy Mac user since 1984.

PC User since 1981 with a TRaSh 80 (48K RAM!!!), a cassette deck to load VisiCalc and a game called Space Warp, a modem that looked like the opposite end of a telephone, and 2 of those 5.25" floppies (they really were floppy) and a dot matrix printer.

I've never spent one day since without at least one Mac or PC in my home at the same time.

I enjoy working on a mac and I'm more productive because I'm comfortable and familiar with the user interface.
I'm accustomed to the way the screen looks, the way the mouse looks and acts, the file system, the operating system, the shortcuts, etc.

I have built many PC's for quite a few pepole and I have no problems with PC's or even Microsoft.
About 15 years ago I worked at a place centered around Corel Draw on PC's.
The people used to jokingly say that I work all day on my PC but I go home and relax while working on my mac.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2005, 01:04 AM
Apple II --> Commodore 64 --> random PCs to now
Looking to buy a G5. Tired of dealing with PCs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2005, 11:36 PM
I ordered my new G5 2.3Ghz yesterday. Now I just have to wait for the deleviry van to arive. I can't wait.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2005, 01:13 AM
Just have to jump in on this one. Although I prefer Macs (have used both), I don't think the issue is which OS is better, easier to use or has the most software written for it. sfxphil*hit the nail on the head when talking about viruses. Most of the complaints I hear from PC users might involve system crashes but more often it's how much data, work, time and money they lost when attacked. There's also the issue of security/privacy. I have owned MACs since they first one came out (can't even remember-IIC?), and have never had one virus or any security problems. So to me, the extra cost for MACs is worth it, it's the best protection I could have.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2005, 09:31 AM
My two cts !

1) I voted PC because the poll's subject reads What do you use PC or Mac ? And have been using PCs since they started being commonly used at offices here in Argentina. Around 1985. Was always curious about Macs for all the usual comments about its being great at handling graphics and the advantage of the hardware being built for the OS or vice versa (?). So when I decided to buy a home computer searched for prices of both PCs and Macs.
So ... my first personally owned computer was an Epson PC, can't remember the model except that I felt like a new rich with all of its 2MB RAM and a 40MB HD !! It came with DOS 2 or 3 and Windows 2.0

2) Obviously can't offer any comparison comments regading PC vs Mac, except perhaps the price factor which probably accounts for the high percentage of PC users vs Mac users. Also have noticed that there is a greater percentage of service and performance satisfaction expressed by Mac users than PC users. That could also be a result of the smaller proportion of voters from each sector. (just a question here, statistics are not my field at all )

So I voted PC.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 08:39 AM
PC at home

Mac at work (only because I have to) and just NOW we're FINALLY switching from OS9 to x.

Obviously. I prefer the PC.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2005, 07:09 AM
Mac & PC

Worked with mac most of my life. Use my PC for administrative stuff and my mac for the creative work.

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2005, 07:21 AM
I assume most here are aware by now that Apple is abandoning the PowerPC in favor of Intel's superior microprocessors. If not, read announcement here:

By most accounts, the ease-of-use factor and GUI interface gaps have narrowed considerably, especially since the coming of Windows XP. In many areas, WinXP is surprisingly given an edge. Many agree it's now a toss up.

With Apple moving to Intel, and now presumably equal user interfaces, does it get down to basically a question of cost vs. reliability (ignoring the emotional factor )? Clearly PCs cost less, and just as clearly Mac's have proven to be the most reliable.

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2005, 08:00 AM

I wonder if adobe will just support photoshop on the the intel platform. Will they stop developing upgrades on the mac side? OS-X runs on top of the unix shell so maybe it will be transparent to the end user and current aps will run native on the new platform.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2005, 09:48 AM

I have been using a Mac for about ten years. The new OS X operating systems have eliminated all of the freezing and crashing that the old OS had. I love it. I have never had to have any of my Macs serviced. I also use a PC at work, so I am familiar with both. The PCs have gone out several times causing great problems on the job. I think that Macs are great.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware