Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

View Poll Results: Do you use a Mac, PC, both or other ?
PC 125 57.87%
Mac 55 25.46%
Both 35 16.20%
Other 1 0.46%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2005, 10:57 AM
Banging away on a PC but I'm hoping to migrate to Mac early next year!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Some may find this interesting.

I own a computer service/repair shop. We keep pretty good records of what we work on. When I go back through the books about 6% of the computers we work on are Macs. Since Macs are used by about 5% of the population it shows that Macs have problems just as much as PCs. The problems are different though.

Regarding Mac parts being more expensive. They don't always have to be. Mac people get suckered into buying RAM at high prices because it is for their Mac. Same with harddrives.

I personally can't see any real gain in switching to a Mac. It all comes down to software. The hardware is not different anymore. Next month Macs will start shipping with Intel Dual Core processors. Same architecture that AMD has been smoking with their Dual Core processors. So there is no hardware difference between the two.

Once I'm in CS2 what does it matter if I'm on a Mac or PC? It doesn't. Have any of you tried to use the new Quickbooks on a Mac? The 2006 version for PCs is heads and shoulders about the Mac version. Its all these things that you have to take into consideration.

It all comes down to preference. If I was a Mac user I would not want the world to switch. Mac users have security through obscurity. With 6% of the computers coming into my shop being Macs I don't buy the "Macs are more stable" rhetoric.

For the Record. PC users do not have to get spyware and viruses. I don't and I use a computer as much as anyone I know.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2006, 07:02 PM

I'm Mac all the way.

At home and at work I use a G5.

As a rule, the majority of companies in the UK doing graphic design/advertising run a Mac studio (well as far as I have seen). I agree that most of it is preference, as once you're in the program it doesn't really matter.

Though my friend uses a mac at work and a PC at home for the same job.

Guess I'm just set in my ways.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Red face pc vs mac

my first computer was a mac so that's what i learned on. my next was a pc and very easy learning curve from one to the other. now i teach on a mac and own pc personally. i was in the market for a new computer and stayed very alert to all the pros and cons for a year. decided on another pc. the main reason is that i am a very serious retoucher (and teach photoshop at a college)and there are limitations on the mac os for the photoshop program. every time i find a new one, i write it in te book i teach from for all that ask. sure, apple has their packaging together but did you know that you CANNOT print larger than a 90" print from a mac os? that's significant if you want to print panoramas or a banner! you have to but an extra divice! some of the other things are pretty minor but helps in workflow. i also agree with someone else who posted that if you have software for one platform, you're kinda stuck unless you sold your old system with all the wonderful software as a package deal and started fresh. kinda like switching from nikon to canon and letting the nikon lenses go where they are useful.

i am new to this group so i really hope to reply to this successfully.
good thoughts,
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2006, 06:25 PM
if you want to print panoramas or a banner! you have to but an extra divice! some of the other things are pretty minor but helps in workflow.
I beg to differ. My nephew runs large format Epson printers doing glisee and he prints 8, 10, 12 feet and larger canvases every day running 6 Macs and 4 Epson printers using Adobe PhotoShop CS2. No aditional hardware or software necessary.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2006, 04:04 AM
I use both - the Mac for graphics and music production, the Pc for office stuff, internet et al.

The reason - the Mac works better for me. With music production software the Mac stuff is always released earlier - one of the programmers for ProTools told me that the PC version required half a million extra lines of coding. That extra 1/2 million surprised me a bit........... I just hope theyre better at catching typos than I am! The last Mac crash I had was in 2001 (I ran out of RAM) and because it is never online it will never get a virus (fingers crossed, natch)

I use the PC online because the internet is written for PCs. I dont care if the PC gets sick - it wont stop me making an income.

Just as I wouldnt use my music software for graphics, nor would I use a PC for music or graphics or a Mac for the internet. Just too much hassle............

PCs are cheap enough - the main worry is deskspace - with 2 Macs, a PC, an iBook and a couple of printers my dining room looks likes a modern equivalent of Tutenkamun's tomb.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2006, 09:13 AM
contact epson or better yet, try it!

Originally Posted by Swampy
I beg to differ. My nephew runs large format Epson printers doing glisee and he prints 8, 10, 12 feet and larger canvases every day running 6 Macs and 4 Epson printers using Adobe PhotoShop CS2. No aditional hardware or software necessary.

i have indeed tried to contact you personally to ask how your nepew does this without extra software but no response. below is a response straight from epson. i can override this on a pc but not mac. i am not a pc snob and work on both platforms on a daily basis. i just believe everyone should be informed of the truth so they can make the best decision for themselves. mac snobs seem to want to sugar coat the mac problems. not saying pcs don't have their more than fair share, just want the facts correct.-c

Epson standard driver has a page length limitation of 90.5 inches.
Illustrator CS and above support "tiling", this way you can create a custom page half the size of the total length and make sure you check the "Tile Full Page" option. If you need more info check with the application manufacturer.
Attache is a document for your reference.

(Embedded image moved to file: pic26299.jpg)

Should you require further assistance with this issue, please use the "Reply With History" option, including your previous e-mail with your new request. If you have a different technical support issue, please submit another E-form via our website (, and we will respond in a timely manner. Thank you again for contacting Epson.

James D
EPSON Professional Graphics Support Team

without extra software and no response.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2006, 09:43 AM

I thought I did reply to your message Sunday?

Mike says that yes, the Epson driver is limited to 90.5 inches when printing via OSX CUPS/Epson printer driver. He said he works around it (some kind of hack) by making sure there is white "canvas" area at each end of the printing area then he puts one white pixel in each corner of the white canvas area before printing and cutting to size.

I have to say that Mike is and has been a printing guru for over 20 years. He is also a computer whiz kid who *totally* understands how to hack things to make them work. He told me he has the Epson RIP, but doesn't use it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Well, a lot have been saying about this poll, and of course, every one love's his machine, no creative can work on a Machine that doesn't inspire him to work.

I do think money it's a considerable reason to buy a PC, but everything depends on what you like.

I switched to Mac on 1998, cauze at office everyone uses Mac, and they have a great performance, but of course we have technicians, programers and of course, designers that teach each other about the system, and it's a little easier and faster than most PC's.

But really, today, we can find the same Photoshop on Mac and PC, so, we can buy any.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2006, 08:26 PM
I grew up in a family of PC nerds.

My first computer was a Windows-based PC (this was before there was the hard floppy disk - when we had the bigger all-black flexible ones that were read in a big obtrusive usually tan box). Then with the pack I moved over to 95, then 98, then 2000/with NT, then XP, the XP Service Pack 2, with the inevitable 'blue screen of death' between everything click of the mouse.

Windoes has so many damnn holes and backdoors in it, its really quite ridiculous. When I learned that someone could hijack Windows through Media Player; I had to end the madness!

I left the sorry excuse for an OS, and crossed over to the beautiful architecture of a Unix-based Apple, Mac OS X. Quite possible the most advanced operating system on the planet.

Imagine if Windows manufactured cars. What would the world be like?

Well, walking out of the grocery store and seeing people attempt to throw their vehicle off a bridge should not alarm you, as this would happen if Windows manufactured cars.

Should you press the 'unlock' button on your remote-entry, and the car turns on, only to then shut down. You needn't stress, as this would be a common occurrence if Windows manufactured cars.

While driving on the highway, if you find your car suddenly freeze with no explanation -- get out and kick yourself for not installing Windows CE (Car Edition) Service Pack 2, and remember this is only normal if Windows manufactured cars.

And while simply washing your car one day, if you happen to notices your car discarding its core parts out onto the street, Its probably because you forgot to update your, Norton, Spyware Doctor, McAfee, and Trojan Doctor definitions again and your car now needs to be quarantined.

What a headache that would be, the only benefit that Windows-based cars would bring, is that if you were late to work because of car trouble, at least you could count on your boss being late too.

But please do not switch over to Apple Mac's. Nooooo. Like *sfxphil* said...the more of you who switch over to the the 'intelligent' side, the more viruses they will write for us.

In fairness to the PC - As devotedly in love I am with my Mac, I still have a well-oiled PC sitting across from it. You kinda need it since the the market is dominate by the ignorance. Im but seriously.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware