Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

View Poll Results: Do you use a Mac, PC, both or other ?
PC 125 57.87%
Mac 55 25.46%
Both 35 16.20%
Other 1 0.46%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2005, 04:14 PM

OK this thread is a kind of spin off from this one , but how many people use Macs and how many use PC's ?

For those of you that have made the switch from PC to Mac, how long did it take you to get to grips with the OS and know your way around the system and how well do you feel the Mac is supported in general ?

I understand that for certain areas the Mac is better suited ie: Graphics and the printing world, but does that alone warrant a switch ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2005, 05:35 PM
A number of years ago I switched from Mac to PC. (I was working for Microsoft at the time, so I had little choice.)

Moving from Mac OS to Windows was a pretty big significant transition. Lots more under the covers tuning knobs with Windows. Mac OS was considerably easier to use.

I would expect that today the transition from Windows to Mac OS would not be that difficult. Once you get past terminology differences such as "shortcut" in Windows = "alias" in Mac OS, there's a lot of functional overlap. Where do you think MSFT got the ideas for creating Windows?

Regarding the so-called Mac superiority over Windows from the graphics perspective: From what I've been told, that gap is very narrow (if it exists at all) these days and it's a function of the application software, not the OS. This is one of those topics can evolve into a holy war of debate. Personally I don't care.

Another consideraton: If you've made a significant investment in software, beware that some software companies don't care if you're migrating from one platform to another. If you want the Mac version of Program X, you gotta buy it -- even if you already own the PC version. This would be something to investigate in advance to get a better feel for what the true costs of migration are.

My 2¢...

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2005, 01:58 AM
Macs are fine till something goes wrong. Prices for Mac parts are considerably higher than those for PCs. Engineers trained in Macs are also much harder to find than those trained in PCs. Lastly, Macs are expensive in comparison to PCs for equivalent processing power. All in all, there really is not too much of a case for Macs, as can be seen by the fact that most people buy PCs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2005, 09:23 AM
Not only are they expensive to replace, but also to buy. (without software like Photoshop included) I built the best grpahics system I could at Apple and found that it would run me about $6,600. I built a comparable system (actually quite a bit faster) for PC for only 2300, and that includes a custom case with a cool dragon on the side. I could add SCSI raid to it and still come out under $4,000. That would leave me with $2,600 to spend on software. (CS Suite here I come!)

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2005, 01:03 PM
PC + other

i use PC at home, and at the faculty i use PC's, SGI's, and SPARK...

i'd like to say that i really hate PC architecture (at the low level), and that Intel got one more "enemy" when they postponed release of 64bits...

but what else can you do when they're cheapest (thus most spread)...

Last edited by JustChecking; 01-07-2005 at 05:27 AM. Reason: sorry for the language (blush)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2005, 07:01 PM
...what they all said.

For my personal machines I've migrated back and forth between PCs and Macs; my first PC was an 8088 (PC/XT) and my first Mac was a IIcx. It was on the IIcx that I learned Photoshop... 2.1 I think.

I have always enjoyed USING a Mac more but I strongly prefer MAINTAINING a PC. Mac support issues, while not so frequent, are often just plain intractable; I can fix a PC, usually in short order and since computers only break at really bad times, I now use PCs. Macs are kind of pricey. I don't think Macs are any better than PCs for graphics or pre-press; it's the software apps that matter.

My partner, a graphic designer, had been strictly a Mac user until two years ago when we started our business and now she uses a PC... because that's what we had. She says PCs are just as easy to use for design and print production now that she's used to them.

I gotta say that I just hate the Windows OS because it is so bloated and crosswired but I have to admit that XP doesn't screw up nearly as much as its predecessors. Mozilla Firefox has made it much more tolerable, IE is crap, always has been.

When people ask me about PCs versus Macs I always give the same answer... PCs didn't win the desktop wars because they were better systems...

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2005, 03:05 PM

I have been using Mac more than 15 years after a disastrous start on an Apricot computer ( remember those )

I do everything from Photo retouching to spread sheets and can honestly say i have never had a hardware problem in all of the 12 Macs i have owned. Yes they used to be more expensive to buy and peripherals are more expensive. But i am happy to pay more for the extra productivity i gain. Since OSX Macs are even more stable and since installing Panther i have not had a single crash. Never in all my years on the web has a single virus or spy ware / trojan horse ever invaded my network. I would never advise people to switch to Mac's in fact i am against it. The more people who use Macs the more virus will be written for them.

My 2 cents
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 07:28 AM
I've had my Mac G-5 since last July and not ONE crash, or freeze. My computer is on 16-18 hours a day. I generally push the envelope when working in applications (everything from multimedia to online games, word processing, heavy prepress and graphics usage). Again... NOT ONE CRASH in eight months!!!

MBChamberlain.. How can you claim "I built a comparable system (actually quite a bit faster)..." No way you can say a PC running can run faster than a Mac G-5 dualie with a 64 bit processor. Look at the test results from the speed test forum. Macs rule.

In 15 years of using Macs, I've only had ONE that required bench work (technician) service. It was under warranty, and took one day to get the CPU replaced at a full service Apple store.

Every external device I've ever plugged into a Mac has worked RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX! True plug and play. From scanners to midi keyboard, firewire enabled camera to my Canon ProShot 1(I love how iPhoto just sees it and starts downloading pictures).

The beauty of Apple is that they build the hardware AND the operating system that drives that hardware. And, from the beginning, Apple set standards for software developers so that their software complies with the OS's architecture and EVERYTHING JUST WORKS (and works the same way from program to program).

Expensive? Maybe, but you get what your pay for. Comparing a Mac to a PC is like comparing a Mercedes to a Ford. The Ford will get you from point A to point B, but the Mercedes will do it with style and dependability.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 11:06 AM
If you think a Mercedes is reliable, you've obviously never owned one. I have, and they're no more reliable than a Ford, they just have better dealers, so the perception is that they're more reliable. Pretty much like Macs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2005, 08:20 PM
I've owned a few Mercedes cars (still own a 280SL) over the years and have found them very reliable. I'll take one over a Ford (and Mac over a PC) any day. To each his own I guess.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware