RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Which computer type do you use?

View Poll Results: What computer do you use for your primary work?
PC/Windows 150 70.09%
Macintosh 61 28.50%
Linux/Unix 3 1.40%
Something else... 0 0%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2002, 04:51 PM

Smile

I've always been a square peg in a round hole, so in a world of PC users, I will stick to Macs
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2002, 06:28 PM

I'm on a homebuilt P3 running a 700Mhz chip that I punched up to 933Mhz. Also running 512 Mb of High end RAM. Windows XP Pro for my operating system along with a Plextor CD Burner. I also have my Epson 1640 scanner that I now swear by. Never again with HP!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2002, 11:21 PM

My one PC is a P1-150 running Win95! Has film scanner and Mitsumi CD-RW writer attached to it. In 25yrs in the computer industry, this is the most stable machine I've ever worked with. It's been thru' 3 hard disk upgrades with the same (cloned) version of Win95 since about 1997. My wife also uses it play Kyodai Mah Jongg amongst other things.

The second one is a P2-350 running Win98. Has flatbed scanner, Epson 800, Epson 1200, modem and pad attached (and when I'm in the mood to restore LPs, also the record player). Fairly stable - been about 18 months since I reinstalled the O/S.

My third machine is one of those DJ spoke about in her study - always open. Used for testing anything. Have a whole pile of old hard disks with O/Ss ranging from Linux down to DOS 5 (depending on what's currently interesting) which I swop in and out of the machine.

Personally, I hate WinNT and its derivatives, so I'll probably have to move over to Linux and the GIMP full time one of these days. Can't find really decent drivers for my printers though (haven't looked recently, I must add).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2002, 04:07 PM

I'm using a MAC G4 on OS9.04. I have 768Mb of RAM to run Photoshop 6.01. I also have the 22 inch Cinema Display which is a beauty! My MAC is about 2 years old and I'm thinking of upgrading to the new G4's with superdrive, enhanced video card and gigahertz speed. I have no problems with my MAC. The only application that crashes on me is Netscape 6.2. I'm an "at home" user and I love my MAC!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2002, 05:30 PM

22" Cinema display...Wow!

I had an imac for about 1 year. (could not afford a G4) I loved the mac OS, but I had so many problems with hardware that I nearly threw the thing out a window. The worst of the problems was the now infamous "imac flickering screen". Apple should have just admitted they made a lemon. My problem with Apple is they seem to have made some artistic decisions about the design of their products that end up causing a host of hardware problems. I am sure a G4 would have been a better buy but after my experience with Apple I went back to a PC.

My current setup is a 1ghz Athlon, 512mb of RAM and a 40 gig hardrive. I'm running Windows ME but am contemplating the switch to XP. I just hope my zip drive, Epson 2450 scanner and Wacom tablet will all work!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2002, 06:49 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by G. Couch
[B]22" Cinema display..

The worst of the problems was the now infamous "imac flickering screen".

I had not heard of a problem with flickering display on iMacs. I love my iMac, but today I spent about 4 hours in front of it steady working on a photo and noticed some flicker.

Can you give me more info about this problem. Maybe I need some warranty on it.

Thanks,
Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2002, 08:01 PM

It was not a problem that affected all imacs, but trust me, if you had the problem you would know it! I know a large portion of the summer 2000 models had this problem. Basically, whenever you click the mouse or select a menu, the screen begins a very pronounced flicker as if the refresh rate is too low. Try using Photoshop when every time you click, the screen goes wavy! It gives you a headache after 15 minutes.

The real problem was not just the flickering but Apple's denial of it. When they finally (after a year) admitted it was a problem their "fix" did not actually work. Talking to Apple customer support was perhaps one of the most frustrating experiences of my life.

I still have never understood why Apple insists on not allowing other companies to make Mac clones. Their hardware looks great but the great design is also the source of so many problems. I crashed a Cube at Circuit City by laying a piece of paper over the vent...crashed from heat in under a minute.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2002, 01:04 AM

I first used a G4 in the computer lab where I took a DTP course. All the G4s were networked. This is where I learned that networking Macs is a nightmare. Working on a G4 8hrs/day for 8 weeks we all experienced our Macs crash an average of once every hour for the entire duration. Now I realize this is not necessarily true of all Macs, but it kinda put me off. Also, I just could not get used to the inconvenience of having no right-click mouse. I came real close to buying a G4 anyways thinking it would be better for graphics but changed my mind at the last minute. I did plenty of research when shopping.

What I ended up with is a Dell Precision workstation with an upgrade motherboard, P3, 512MB of RDRAM, and an nvidia.g2force video card. I have no regrets. I run Win 2000 and I love it...no crashes EVER. Have a 2450 Epson scanner and an Epson 870Photo printer which I also love.
I must say though that what made me finally decide on the PC is the old adage "better the devil you know". In a past incarnation, before becoming a graphics type, I was a certified Windows/network support tech. (at HP)

I have some friends who bought Macs and are very happy. I've even gone over once or twice and did some troubleshooting and installing for them. I agree that it really comes down to whatever works for you and what you are used to. I can't for the life of me understand though when people say Macs are easier to use. I think what is 'easier' to use is what you know already.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2002, 01:27 AM

Talking

PowerMac G4 400 Mhz 448 Meg RAM OS9.1. Died one week under warranty and has been fine ever since. I have an old 9600 that was my first Mac sitting here just in case. Before those it was a 286, before that a Commodore 128 and before that a Commodore 64. Did art on all of them in one form or another, and prefer the Mac I have now over anything else I have used. Way too much tied up in software to ever afford to make the switch to anything else and face the cost of all new programs. Not that I'd particularly care to, but that's the cold hard fact anyway.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2002, 01:58 AM

Yes.. right... another big deciding point Blacknight... what about all that software.... which is often an even bigger investment than the hardware... at least for me it is.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware