RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Which computer type do you use?

View Poll Results: What computer do you use for your primary work?
PC/Windows 150 70.09%
Macintosh 61 28.50%
Linux/Unix 3 1.40%
Something else... 0 0%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2002, 02:15 AM

I'm with Ed here - low end Gateway, Celeron, 3G hard drive, 2xx meg ram (can't remember exactly), CD burner and WinNT.

I have a friend who says he'll build me a new machine as soon as I tell him I want in it, but I haven't a clue what to ask for. I know nothing about motherboards, video cards, or any of that stuff. This one works and that's about all I know.

I love my machine, though. I've been told I shouldn't be able to do the stuff I do on it, but shhhhh - don't tell IT that it isn't supposed to be this reliable...

(Oh, and a PS - mouse, not tablet)

Last edited by Jakaleena; 06-07-2002 at 09:49 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2002, 09:44 AM

Jak,

you've just perfectly illustrated that talent and skill is far more important than having the latest technology. If you can do the work you do on what you have described, that should encourage anyone!

Being a artisit/techie combination, I just had to have the latest stuff (at that time)... but it cost me plenty. But really, before this machine and a brief stint with the macs, I was running a Pentium 233 with a 2 gig harddrive, 64meg of RAM and a really really old video card. I produced the same work with it...

ok, maybe it's just more fun on on the newer toys.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2002, 09:54 AM

Thanks, Marie! What a nice compliment!

I'd really like to find out about the "Joys of Newer Toys" - maybe one of these days. But I'm happy with what I've got here so perhaps it's just that I'm in no great hurry to change something that works for me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2002, 09:59 PM

well... right off the shelfs of walmart.... a h/p pavillion 833 or another number close to that.. 383 mb ram (now) .. A $50 Mustex1200cp flatbed scanner.. a wacom2 pad (whose pen doesn't fit my hand).... oh and less then a sheet of plywood (tiered) for a desk.... now if I just had some place to sit..
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2002, 08:57 AM

I use 2 PC's - one desktop and one laptop.
The desktop runs an Athlon 1400, 512Mb RAM, two 40Gb IBM HDD's, Plextor SCSI CD-ROM and Plextor 24/10/40 CDRW, 64MB GeForce 3 VGA, Wacom A5 graphics tablet, outputting to an Iiyama 19" Pro 450 monitor.
The laptop is an upgraded Sony Vaio running on a P3 650, 320Mb RAM, 30Gb HDD.
Both output to an Epson 1290 A3+ inkjet, and accept input from a very recently acquired Epson 2450 flatbed scanner.
Both run on Win XP, and consequently network very, very easily. I find that this OS is the best Windows yet.
Cheers,
Barry
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 08:12 AM

Nice system Barry,

I have moved to the 'dark side' recently and brought a dual 800Mhz Mac G4 with 1Gb of ram dual video cards and monitors 1 x 21" Sony and 1 x 17" Sony. Wacom Tablet etc etc.. Having used PC's for years,(in fact I still have one networked to the Mac) I can say I am really happy with the Mac and it's OS (still using 9.1 untill I can afford the update to PS7). Still at time of purchase I could have gone either way, PC or Mac, it's just I felt in this particular city the Mac has a better support network.
The biggest joy I have got from the recent upgrade is the ability to work with out really thinking about the computer! With the sort of work I do I often end up working on large files (350 to 450+ Megs at times) so the ability to use lots of layers, non linear history and quickly try various filters, etc, with out even having a thought about the machine I'm working on is pure Luxury.

Still I don't think it's worth upgrading your system until you find your self thinking as much about the computer you work on, as the work you are trying to do.

my two cents worth!

Grant
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2002, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Grant Hills
I have moved to the 'dark side' recently and brought a dual 800Mhz Mac G4
Please excuse my ignorance, but when moving from one platform to another like that how do you deal with the software issue (in that you have versions for platform A and are now using platform B)? Do you just buy the version for the new platform, or what?

And by the way, the change you have made is into the light FROM the "Dark Side!"

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2002, 01:10 AM

Hi Blacknight,

Re change of platforms - yes unfortunately with software most times (Photoshop for example) you have to purchase the application for the new platform. - Ouch!
And yes, after using the Mac for awhile now I am beginning to think I have moved towards the light as well.

Regards

Grant
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2002, 10:05 AM

Cool

I have 9 Mac working here for me.

Mac Baby! Ya! (You have to read it like you are Austin Powers.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2002, 12:03 PM

That's so funny. That was exactly how I read it in my mind before I even saw the bit about Austin Powers.

Hey Aric, you hit member status. Guess the magic number was 30 and not 50. Not bad for only being on for one day.
DJ
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware