Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Which computer type do you use?

View Poll Results: What computer do you use for your primary work?
PC/Windows 150 70.09%
Macintosh 61 28.50%
Linux/Unix 3 1.40%
Something else... 0 0%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2005, 12:40 AM
3GHz p4 with 1GB of dual channel DDR 400 ram on both my work and home machines. Work PC has one internal 60GB drive and one external 60GB drive used for daily incremental backups with 30 snapshots saved per month before overwritting. Home has a single 300GB Primary drive and a pair of 120GB's set in a RAID 0 array for a total of a little over a half terabyte of space. My home machine has Dual 19" displays, one Mitsubishi DiamondPoint NX86 LCD and one Viewsonic P95f+. Work machine has a single dell 17" CRT :/

Work machine is a Dell
Home machine is an OPC

Both run windows XP professional.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2006, 01:16 PM
I have been working with Macs for several years and am currently on a G4. I am also fluent with PC machines but perfer Mac's operating system and performance. I would like to upgrade to G5 soon...

I also work with a 12x12 Wacon tablet, Rev Drive, Microteck scanner and 21 inch monitor. I also have a laser printer and an Epson 2200.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Post Mac vs Windows

I use both Windows and Linux for the stuff I do. As for Mac, I prefer Mac's software, but their hardware just doesn't cut it. I don't know the exact comparison of their gh compared to intel/amd gh, but when AMD's got 4.8 gh per core... how can you beat that? Both AMD and Intel sell 64 bit processors now, so you can't argue that anymore. x86 computers support more hard drives and RAID mode, not to mention Western Digital's 10,000 rpm Raptor! (Let's see Apple make that!) More optical drives (don't forget plextor's 18x dvd-rw!!!). Not to mention that everything you get for a PC is hundreds, even thousands, of dollars cheaper if you get your parts from or I have 1 GB of Corsair XMS RAM with a heatspreader, 74 GB 10,000 WD Raptor as primary drive, 400 GB WD Caviar as the secondary drive, 160 GB WD Caviar external, 3.7 GH AMD Athlon 64 processor, 11x USB2.0 ports, 2 firewire, Sony 16x DVD-RW, [PCI-Express 16x] ATI Radeon X550 256MB w/DVI + TV Out Video graphics card (my mobo supports SLI, but I don't need it, not a gamer), 12-1 media card reader, 5.1 surround sound, NZXT Trinity case with blue cold cathode light, 4x fans (2 120 mm), gigabyte LAN, my mobo is Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI nVidia nForce4-SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 Dual PCI-E MB.

On a Mac, all of that stuff would probably run me $3,000. I got mine for $1300. Beat that!

However, I am hoping that OSX will work on my PC next year, because I like OSX better than both linux and windows.

As for comparing Apple to Dell and HP, you're talking apples and oranges. Dell and HP sell low-end computers. Apple sells high end. If you're using Dell & HP as your comparision to Apple, that's such a bias article. You gotta compare it to good custom built PC's girl.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2006, 05:58 PM

Started with PC but switched to Mac in 1986.
MAC G4 dual processors, 20' sony flat screen, wacom intuos 2 (my mom just got the intuos 3- boy is it pretty!), Epson printer, hp laser, hp scanner, PS CS and CS2 (have had photoshop since 1st version), Painter (carpal tunnel), and Golive... which I use daily. Freehand, Illustrator, Flash MX, Quark, InDesign, lots of filters and plug-ins... also have a Toshiba satilite laptop to check my websites and now to play with Impressionist...
I would love a G5 so I can be in techno heaven again! ahhhh some day!

Last edited by Nanls; 01-13-2006 at 06:08 PM. Reason: took out too many mac comments!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2006, 01:53 PM
I use G5 at work, and iMac g3 at my home, both under OSX Tiger. For me, system convenience is better, then performance of the hardware.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2006, 11:38 PM
PC hmmm no way! If you are wanting to be a serious retoucher and have a system that never, and I mean never crashes than its mac or nothing. When I first started the digital world (many moons ago) of shooting digital and retouching I was running a pc and I can say nothing but problems and loads of wasted time and money.

Went to mac and its been smooth sailing ever since. Can handle mass amounts of data with out the system getting to messy until the next archive.

I am running a G5 dual 1.8 with a lacie electorn blue 5. 4 gig of ram.

Will be upgrading the monitor soon to either a dell ultra sharp 24" or a eizo 24" LCD.

Sorry pc users but I am saying this with over 10 years experience using both systems in a working evironment.

Last edited by damien@retouch; 04-07-2006 at 11:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2006, 01:11 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but you're wrong about Mac being the ONLY way to be a serious retoucher.
My PC is stable, versatile and NEVER crashes... and I dont need 4Gb of RAM and 2 CPUs to acheive that. I've been working with digital imaging for over 8 years and I've always used PCs, never had a single problem, admittedly I've always had a pretty decent spec machine but thats only because I'm a gamer too.
Macs are NOT the ONLY way for serious graphics users - that may have been the case a decade ago but its just not true today. PCs are infinately more flexible and customisable than Macs and can be just as good (and better) as macs for this type of work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2006, 08:57 AM
Lol I knew I was setting myself up for some back lash there.

I do find it hard to believe that your system never fails, but hey you could be one of the lucky few.

But seriously if you go and look at all the high level retouching labs, they all use macs. Everyone that I know who is a serious retoucher and working in the industry uses macs. Its not because they look pretty its because they just work. Stability rules over speed any day and macs have both.

Your right I dont need a dual processor for most photoshop applications but when it comes to using actions for processing jobs thats when it does pay its dues.

Anyway its a rounded debat we will always end up at the same spot! until you buy a mac
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2006, 10:10 AM
You can believe it or not but its true
I havent bought an 'out of the box' PC in over 10 years. I built my machine from scratch, I know every bit of hardware and software on her and she never gives me any trouble. If I want to add sometihng new or take something away or upgrade a bit, I can do that - no problem ,just open her up and pug it in. Can you say the same of your mac?
Why big companies still use macs?
If it aint broke, dont fix it. As I said, a decade ago, if you worked in graphics, it was on a mac, it was the way of the world, they were faster, more stable and better suited to graphics work than IBM compatible PCs (macs are PCs btw ) and while thats not true today, the cost of replacing all their macs with PCs and retraining all their staff and any potentional staff far outweighs any benefits (if any) they would get from the changeover.
Its not an issue of macs being better anymore, its a legacy issue and will probably exist for at least a decade into the future.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2006, 03:16 PM
The "my cable is longer than your cable", "my PC is better than your PC", debate has gone on for years, but with the introduction of the Mac with the intel chip and Apple's recent announcement that you can run Windows OR Mac OS on the same machine (plus the application from third party folks that will let your run BOTH OSs at the same time) will, over time, make the debate moot.

Buy one machine, run any software you want to, play your games, all on one CPU! What a concept!

Rumors abound, but I can't wait to see what Apple is going to offer this August when they traditonly anounce new top end tower units. I've heard an intel QUAD processor my be in the offing. Talk about some processor speed for PhotoShop filters!!!

Nancy...>>>If I want to add sometihng new or take something away or upgrade a bit, I can do that - no problem ,just open her up and pug it in. Can you say the same of your mac?

I'll take plug and play one step further. I started with an Atari 800 and went through all the mutations up to the Atari ST and bought my first Mac (Centrus 610) in 1993, I not only managed to plug and play every piece of hardware, I converted ALL my PostScript fonts and EPS and TIFF clipart to Mac format. I still use the clipart and Postscript fonts on my Mac G5 day in and day out. Some of that stuff is over 20 years old, but still usable. :-)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware