RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Teac Dvd+rw Dv-w58e

Old 04-12-2005, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. That's one of the solutions I tried in the beginning, but it still didn't fix my problem, although it is known to help in many cases.

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2005, 11:59 PM

Hi,
I have this same drive on my dell computer.My problem with the drive was that it would totally freeze my computer up every time i put any type of blank media in the drive to do some recording.I tried many different things including disabling the Sonic DLA but nothing helped.In the end I finally deleted every Sonic program that was on the computer and the teac dvd+rw drive works great now.Have no problems with it now that all the Sonic programs are gone.You may want to try this and see if it helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 12:16 AM

That's what I hear you need to do. I thought I had deleted everything, but perhaps not. What all did you do?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 01:37 AM

Hi T,

if you have used uninstall to remove the programs from your PC, it is quite probable that you still have remnants of those programmes still in your systems registry. Uninstall programs leave these fragments there, in case you want to re-install the programme at a later date (as if).

In order to remove the last remnants, you'll either have to adjust your systems registry by hand (not advised as you can really muck things up if you don't know what you're doing) or use a registry cleaner.

There are a few of these about (I use one called Reg Scrub XP, that is freeware, and has'nt done any harm to my PC although I have used it quite a few times).

Before using one, always make a back up of your registry. Easiest way to do this is by creating a restore point. (presuming you're using XP). Either that or export your registry to a folder. (To restore you just double click on the Registry copy.)

This may not help your original problem, but it's worth considering.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2005, 08:01 AM

Thanks Gary. After I removed Record Now/Sonic, I did run Registry Mechanic. I loaded a blank media into the drive and it still hangs up. So I also did a file search for SONIC last night and found several entries. I crossed my fingers and deleted them (although they still reside in the recycle bin). I loaded the blank media into the drive and it still hangs up. Although I think I got a bit closer. I let the drive run for a while and eventually a copy widow appeared (took way to long to appear though). I tried copying a file, but it ended up not responding, and any time I use my computer to access the blank media it immediately goes into not responding. The odd thing is that is only happens with blank media.

I also ran the IDE Hard Drive Diagnostic and my hard drive failed with a Return Code: 7...don't know what that means. Hope it doesn't mean my drive is failing. I ran some other diagnostic utilities and they all say that the hard drive is fine.

Dell is telling me to format and reinstall XP and all should be resolved. That sounds like a painful process so I'm waiting a bit and researching before I take that step.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2005, 10:08 AM

Can you play DVDs, or is it just recording. Is it the same with DVDRs and DVDRWs. Sometimes DVDRWs can be tempremental. DVDRs are more reliable.

I agree with you totally about not re-formatting your hard drive unless absolutely everything else has been tried.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2005, 10:13 AM

I can play a DVD, CD ect. Both drives read and play all types of files without any trouble. My next check is going to try different media...perhaps it's the particular CD that is causing the trouble...although according to the specs it should be okay.

Still wondering about the IDE Hard Drive Diagnostic.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2005, 10:24 AM

If it plays OK, its not a laser or tracking problem. You haven't got an Audio version of your DVD by chance have you, these have a different run in to Data DVDs. (Just grasping for straws here).

Don't suppose you can get hold of a similar drive and plug in to see if problem persists, that at least would determine whether its a software or hardware problem.

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 04-26-2005 at 10:29 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2005, 10:42 AM

Is the drive on the same IDE cable as the Hard drive? If it's on the same cable, check that the jumpers on the back of the drive are set to slave and not master or C/S . If it is on it's own cable (second IDE channel) try uninstalling the IDE controler through Device manager (Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager) Right click on second IDE controler and uninstall, then Reboot. If you post the exact error and any codes it gives you, I should be able to pinpoint the problem from that
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2005, 10:53 AM

Sorry, should have opened my eyes as you have posted details. From what I've found this can be caused be Ccleaner software. Not sure if you use this, but the site below may help.
http://www.thegreenbutton.com/commun...essageID=94590
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware