RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Teac Dvd+rw Dv-w58e

Old 03-01-2005, 12:21 AM

Teac Dvd+rw Dv-w58e

DVD Burning Woes

I have a TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E that came with my Dell computer. I tried to burn a file to a CD last night without any luck. All I got was BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). I did a search and tried the various suggestions:

1. Uninstall Driver and reboot to let the computer reinstall the driver
2. Checked for updates
3. Downloaded the various file fixes…no changes (support.dell.com, BR77686.exe)
4. Uncheck the DLA

Initially with the BSOD I get reference to tfsnifs.sys.

Unchecking the DLA did stop the BSOD, but I still can’t burn anything…operation just freezes up. Also while the CD is in, I am unable to access My Computer. I have to open the drive and remove the CD to get access back.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2005, 01:38 AM

Tried the Dell online chat support....was told to call Technical Support.

I have been on hold for an hour now and still no help...have to say that's pretty poor customer support.

Giving up for now and heading to bed.

Well wouldn't you know it...they just picked up. More to follow later.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2005, 01:40 AM

Well wouldn't you know it...the tech person says that they aren't the right department and are going to transfer me to another division. Who wants to bet I get hung up on or have to wait forever again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2005, 01:44 AM

Guess what...got hung up on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Janitor

BSOD, even with WinXP?

I'd go one step further and delete it from your System > Devices and actually power down the computer and pull the powercord (my own drive manufacturer, Plextor, recommends going even further and disconnecting the power cable to the drive). This will eliminate any trickle charges from keeping some settings alive. After a few minutes power back up and let WinXP sort it out before adding any new software or drivers.

Also, check your computer setup (usually F1 at boot) and make sure those settings are correct. And see if there's a firmware update available (from the manufacturer, not from Dell) for your drive. And make sure DMA is enabled (it almost certainly is, but that's one area that can cause problems).

Have you installed anything that might interfere since it last worked correctly?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2005, 04:13 PM

Yes I got a real BSOD with Windows XP...my first!

Initially with the BSOD I got a reference to tfsnifs.sys.

Then the next crash when I rebooted and reported the problem to Microsoft I was sent to a page that discussed the following error:
Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078) Although I never saw that error on my screen.

The last crash, Microsoft sent me to an Iomega Update...basically each crash generates something new. I did do a virus scan and all is well.

I finally found an interesting thread on the web that suggested unchecking the DLA for Sonic and that stopped the BSOD, but still unable to burn.

No new installs except windows updates...but I haven't burned from the drive in quite a while. Usually burn to my external drive, but after the move I haven't hooked it up so I tried the internal one.

There weren't any driver updates, but I did find a firmware. Updated it, but no changes. The drive plays DVD and CD roms fine. The recording media should be compatible, Imation CD-R 80 min 700 MB disc. Also note that the hardware manager says there is no trouble with the device.

I am in a useless email game with Dell at the moment. They keep sending me computer generated suggestions that really don't have anything to do with the problem. Also in my search on the web, this particular DVD+RW and Dell came up a lot, but no solutions...just frustrations.

Dell's latest suggestion is to clear the NVRAM. This requires me opening up the computer and doing something to my jumper to set the computer in maintenance mode, but so far I haven't really found the info on how to go about this. (Dell XPS Generation 2)

For grins I will try your suggestion of deleting the drive and a complete power down.

The manufacturer has no updates or help...their reply was that it was a custom-made drive for Dell, for which Dell does the support 100% and to contact Dell for all support issues.

As for the computer set-up...what settings would I be checking and what is DMA? I can handle software issues, but hardware and computer techy things usually require some hand holding.

~T

Last edited by T Paul; 03-01-2005 at 04:23 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Janitor

The clearing of the NVRAM isn't a bad idea. The problem with company support (and it's every company that I know of) is that they have to walk you through every single identical step, no matter what your problem is. It works, but it can be infuriating. At least Gateway will actually hang on the phone while you do it all. But it's still frustrating when you call about one problem and they tell you to adjust entirely different areas (they're just reading from a script). Next they'll tell you to unseat and reseat all your cards and memory (I hate to admit it, but this actually solved one of my problems).

I wouldn't worry too much about the DMA, I doubt it would cause a BSOD, and the OS defaults to ON anyway. BSOD usually means hardware problems, at least with WinXP.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2005, 04:32 PM

Well I hope clearing of the NVRAM will work...once I figureout how to do it. I found out it requires to jumper the system board to Maintenance Mode...just don't know how to set the jumpers to do this yet. All I found in my system manual was a jumper setting to clear the passwords. I sent Dell and email asking for a bit more instruction on how to go about clearing the NVRAM and will hope for the best. While I am in the computer I will probably double check the cables and such since I did just move. My question is the drive works when playing, just not burning...so wouldn't that mean it is hooked up fine and more likely a drive problem or a bad DVD+RW?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2005, 04:36 PM
Janitor

Clearing the NVRAM just resets it to factory default, which is probably exactly where it is now.

Is this the firmware update you found?

Edit: whoops, I just read you'd tried this already.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Janitor

No technical help, but perhaps some morale support (based on the assumption that misery loves company)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware