RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping Merging several different exposures into a single image

High Dynamic Range Tonemapping in CS2

Old 07-06-2006, 12:48 PM

High Dynamic Range Tonemapping in CS2

hi

i stumbled across this:

http://www.hdrsoft.com/examples.html

is it possible to create this effect without this software, using PS CS2?

thx, search function didnt find "tone mapping"
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2006, 02:33 PM

It can be done, it is a matter of using the HDR function on PS and then applying the correct color correction settings to give you that effect, it would take some playing but once you have the technique down your away. Look at some of the silver light tutorials I think the corrections will be very similar. the images in that link do look spectacular and this tool may make this type of edit quick. I would image though you can create a PS action/script or 2 and get the same results and speed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2006, 02:34 PM

Sort of . . . under File/Automate, the last choice in the menu is "Merge to HDR . . ." You can then load the mutliple exposures and Photoshop tries to create the tone mapped picture. There are few controls here, so results are questionable.

I've also heard of faking this look by using various "blend if" settings under the Layer Styles of a multi-layered image. From what I've seen so far, the software from MultimediaPhoto looks like a winner.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2006, 02:40 PM

You can also work with the luminocity channel in LAB and create several masks if you import the different exposures as layers of a psd. You would then have to tweak the maskes with levels or curves or even invert some of them but it should work pretty well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2006, 02:48 PM

I checked by using the 3 images available and that is why I say there is additional work after the HDR, the HDR result is no where close to the finished article. It would be interesting to see the initial HDR merge they get before the tonal filter.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2006, 02:54 PM

I tried using the tonal plugin with the PS CS2 HDR and one issue is the applied filter does not match the preview which is a shame but still I tried it then used edit>exposure and came very close that way so just a matter of seeing what changes the tonal plugin made and we have it. I would have done that but just about to leave work for the day.

OK I could not resist I delayed leaving did the HDR with photomatrix and saved out, opened HDR in PS and it is a better combine with no custom settings, applied the filter both in PS and in photomatrix and they come out the same, very nice result. Tried to tweak the PS HDR merge got close, did a few more tweaks then applied the filter but not as vivid and no pop. There seems to be much more information available in the photomatrix HDR image. It will be interesting to see other peoples versions / findings.

Last edited by creeduk; 07-06-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2006, 01:39 PM

Lightroom?

Anyone have access to lightroom, that has split tone capabilities and might offer an interesting option for this type of image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2006, 01:54 PM

Uhm, sorry to be the dumbo, but what's so special about those pictures?

Two curve-layers and a bit of brushing and you're good to go?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2006, 08:14 PM

No offense but it is a bit more than that and you can not make a curve adjustment at 32bits in Photoshop so that would be a challenge.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2006, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeduk
No offense but it is a bit more than that and you can not make a curve adjustment at 32bits in Photoshop so that would be a challenge.

I can handle it

Well you are right about 32bit images, BUT: You can't get 32bit where no 32bit are. So if you have the three images, HDR, no prob. If you have a flat image, there's no reason to convert to 32bit since it lacks the information anyway.

See what I mean?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping