RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping Merging several different exposures into a single image

what post processing has been done here?

Old 10-13-2007, 02:26 PM

what post processing has been done here?

hi, i came across this guy on flickr and i was wondering if anyone here could break down what has been done in his post production, a lot of his shots have this dreamy gold look to them, they are also hdr but i don't know if that affects this goldy look at all?!? help would be much appreciated, thanx!!

http://flickr.com/photos/dimitridepaepe/1513346832/
http://flickr.com/photos/dimitridepaepe/1437190904/
http://flickr.com/photos/dimitridepaepe/1389330455/
http://flickr.com/photos/dimitridepaepe/1359333006/
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2007, 02:41 PM

Re: what post processing has been done here?

Looks like hdr with a Gradient Map applied.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2007, 03:38 PM

There are so many things that come under the heading of post processing. Any of the adjustments that affect color, light, contrast, etc, can be manipulated to render results such as these. I found over the years that just playing with them will reveal wonderous results. To just do what someone else is doing isn't original and is plagiarism and perhaps boring.
...Pierre...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2007, 04:23 PM

thanx but i have no intention of just copying him, i would just like to know how to do it, or even how you do it, like you said there are many ways to achieve that effect and i was just curious as to how it may be done, i don't want exact settings from his computer as i think that would be pointless, i would just like to add this type of effect to my repertoire so to speak. thanx
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2007, 04:40 PM

I'd have to say that any of the effects I have rendered weren't recorded. I just played with the software and when something looked cool I stopped. I have the idea of how I do it but to give you the actuals clicks, no. That's why I suggest playing with it yourself. For example, you see alot of yellow-gold there. Why not run those sliders back and forth until you see the shade you like. Same for the sharpness, contrast, etc.

I really didn't think you were going to copy him either.

I suppose that if I thought ahead of time that I was creating a tute or something I'd record an action.

...Pierre...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2007, 02:38 PM

HDR, the effect he's using is really working on the first picture and the last! miss some more colour on the last...

gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2007, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkoax View Post
HDR, the effect he's using is really working on the first picture and the last! miss some more colour on the last...

gerry
thanx for the reply, could you go into a bit more detail about that, i don't quite know what you mean, i do a lot of HDR and sort of understand about the 1st and last picture but not fully, help is appreciated thanx!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2007, 07:31 AM

Hdr itself won't give a tone. Possibly he's desaturating the picture slightly, putting a new layer filled with his gold colour, changing the mode to overlay and then reducing the opacity to get the desired effect?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djslyda View Post
thanx for the reply, could you go into a bit more detail about that, i don't quite know what you mean, i do a lot of HDR and sort of understand about the 1st and last picture but not fully, help is appreciated thanx!!!
to go into details within hdr? hmmm...have you done hdr? Try tonemapping as well...it's in the same post process as hdr...3 or more pictures with different exposures set together...I read an hdr tutorial...this guy had some amazing pictures of the ice on ICELAND...anyone seen that site? If so post the link and share his tutorials...

Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkoax View Post
to go into details within hdr? hmmm...have you done hdr? Try tonemapping as well...it's in the same post process as hdr...3 or more pictures with different exposures set together...I read an hdr tutorial...this guy had some amazing pictures of the ice on ICELAND...anyone seen that site? If so post the link and share his tutorials...

Gerry
I'm not sure if this is the guy...I have seen some iceland photos on his site...but he has a great tutroial here:
http://stuckincustoms.com/2006/06/06/548/
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping