RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping Merging several different exposures into a single image

Dynamic photo hdri

Old 11-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Patron

Re: Dynamic photo hdri

GIMP's ACE filter does this too. I use it a lot. Attached is straight ACE. I usually use other filters such as Xero's Supersmooth for a cool watercolor effect. And, like all GIMP filters, it's free.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cyclaman-orig.jpg (99.8 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2007, 08:22 PM

very cool, lk. you keep surprising me with 'the gimp'
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2007, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britsdad View Post
Oh dear this is very addictive
Great find this program Pat, good to see you back, and by the way, I'm glad someone told me what auto bracketing was
I love the way it changes sky in particular, this is one I took this evening from our bedroom window (not very picturesque but it was only a quickie out of curiosity) and I have cropped some of the houses off the bottom, so you can't see the Dynamic Photo Trial logo, sorry.
John
Great colours there John, We are all learning.

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2007, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
ok, so which program are you guys using the most and which is easiest and which gets the best results so far?

also, just a thought, if someone wanted to start a blog category (see blog control panel on making a new category), i think that would be pretty cool.

and, since you (patricia and palms) asked, i'll post the one i was using to test the filter. the problem is going to be getting consistent results with any and all pictures i use the filter with. i tailored the filter to this boat pic to start and it's ok, but if i put another image in there with the filter... ah well.

so, this posted image was not done with an hdri program, per se. it was done in filter forge in trying to do an hdri simulation.
After trying a few programmes i have found this one to be the easiest to use and to get some usable results from, but so far i am only using the trial version Patricia has the full

Your image looks great, One thing I have learnt is that not all images work well with hdr so maybe it is not your filter ?

Ikroll that looks super as well

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2007, 05:30 AM

I would like a bit of input from you all
As this seems a popular subject I thought i would start a new thread elsewhere on just this subject not here in the software area
that way we could all learn things about the different software's available etc etc (infact it might be two threads one for the learners like us and one for those who have more experience ) I dont think it would work as a blog
Now the question
Where do i start it ? which forum ?

photo retouching ? photo art ? photography ? help please

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2007, 11:58 AM

thanks, palms

and yes, i've found that out in filter forge also. a great filter with one image, becomes garbage with another.

as for starting a new thread and which forum in which to do it, i dont think you need to. you've stated the new thread would be about the different softwares for hdri, so, this IS the appropriate forum. i'd just leave it here in this forum, and this thread.

now, if you want to specifically cover ONLY one piece of software, then i'd start a new thread in the software forum on that one piece. but, for covering ALL hdri programs and comparing them, i'd just stay here with it.

ah, having just looked at the title of your thread here, i've got it backwards. keep the one about the mediachance program here and start another for comparing different ones.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2007, 01:14 AM

I'm kind of confused. Are the programs you all are discussing making those High Dynamic Range photos out of a single photo?

I have been going through all of my old photos from when I bought my first digital camera. I was very new to photography (still am really) and I'm finding that in a lot of cases I had that exposure range thingy set and so I have quite a few sets of 3 to play with.

Here is one I composed from just two exposures, I wasn't using a tripod and the third shot just wouldn't sync.
This was done with Photoshops' Merge to HD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moth_HDR2.jpg (98.9 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by crazyfly1; 11-12-2007 at 03:41 AM. Reason: cuz I can''t spell
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2007, 04:16 AM

Hello Palms...

So glad you started this thread....its interesting to see all the results from Dynamic photo...Think its a good idea if you start another one as there are so many HDR programs to try....

John....Nice to converse with all the folks I know at Retouch again...work just gets in the way of doing what you want to!
The colors really pop on your pic...its a good way to start with HDR..Yes its truly addictive and you will soon be going through your old pics...I have found as Palms says too that not all your photos look good but i have some that the exposure wasnt good on and no amount of playing in the editing programs made them wonderful...but....Dynamic photo has and brought such surprising results....Look forward to more of your experiments........

Craig ...I think you are so close with the boat pic...bet in a week or two you have it spot on! I personally prefer Dynamic Photo as i have got the best results and there is a new update that gives even more interesting effects...updates are free by the way so thats good!!! Thats not to say i wont be still playing in the other Hdr programs...I will!

Lyle...This is brilliant and you are certainly the master of special effects...you could write your own programs i think!!!

Crazyfly....Your pic is great and lucky you having lots of different exposure pics to start with...I havent yet been able to use the photoshop merge to HDR...it always says not enough dynamic range and i got so fed up i stopped trying!!! So well done with that one!!! In the full version of Dynamic Photo you can use just one pic with really good results or you can use one pic and change the exposure settings on say 3 pics...but by far the best results come form three or more different exposures taken with your camera...This is such a fun learning curve with quick results!!!

Patricia....
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2007, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfly1 View Post
I'm kind of confused. Are the programs you all are discussing making those High Dynamic Range photos out of a single photo?

I have been going through all of my old photos from when I bought my first digital camera. I was very new to photography (still am really) and I'm finding that in a lot of cases I had that exposure range thingy set and so I have quite a few sets of 3 to play with.

Here is one I composed from just two exposures, I wasn't using a tripod and the third shot just wouldn't sync.
This was done with Photoshops' Merge to HD.
Crazyfly a state of confusion is normal (well for me) but you are at the right place to end some confusion everyone will help. On this is think we are all learning and testing the waters
I think it is a mixture here of people who use multiple images and single images, As is the software being used.
I think yours is the first using Photoshop's merge to hd, I was hoping some would post using this ( i have ps7 which dosent have that function )
And as for your image
WOW that is super
give some thought to posting it here in the photographed or processsed today thread
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...sed-today.html
( you will have to rename the image )
Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2007, 04:43 AM

I have started a new thread here please contuinue to contribute this is turning into a interesting thread

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...tml#post172602

Palms
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping