RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping Merging several different exposures into a single image

HDR messing around

Old 11-12-2007, 04:40 AM

HDR messing around

After starting a thread about dynamic photo hdri, it has become quite popular so i thought i would widen the original post to include any software and to do it in anyway.
orignal post
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sof...hoto-hdri.html

Mainly we are all learning here and trying the different techniques available out ( maybe if CJ reads this she could start a thread in the photography section for those more advanced with the technique)

Anything goes really post your own image but please say which software you are using, how many images you have used etc etc, so that we can all learn something and of course the most important bit have some fun

Palms

Last edited by palms; 11-12-2007 at 10:50 AM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2007, 07:05 AM

Re: HDR messing around

I used the bracketshot function of d200 fixed 5.6 aperture and focus, with a side-flash,,, it was 7 shot(-3..0..+3), it was not linear timeing, so I did some post process at the raw converter of cs2 to set the exp. to linear time -3...-2.....+3. At last hdr was created by Photomatix, and tonemapped by QTPFSGUI software at the fatal function,,, had some desaturating -over the paper- and highpass sharpening over all, in cs2 as post process.

saby

600x900 ver.: http://www.retouchpro.com/gallery/sh...t//ppuser/9039
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CV-1.jpg (32.2 KB, 84 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1 View Post
( maybe if CJ reads this she could start a thread in the photography section for those more advanced with the technique)

Anything goes really post your own image but plese say which software you are using, how many images you have used etc etc, so that we can all learn something and of course the most important bit have some fun

Palms
I will do that, Palms! I want to do some HDR images and work them in Photoshop and then try trial versions of ones you've been talking about.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saby View Post
I used the bracketshot function of d200 fixed 5.6 aperture and focus, with a side-flash,,, it was 7 shot(-3..0..+3), it was not linear timeing, so I did some post process at the raw converter of cs2 to set the exp. to linear time -3...-2.....+3. At last hdr was created by Photomatix, and tonemapped by QTPFSGUI software at the fatal function,,, had some desaturating -over the paper- and highpass sharpening over all, in cs2 as post process.

saby

600x900 ver.: http://www.retouchpro.com/gallery/sh...t//ppuser/9039
Very nice Saby could you please shed some light on Linear timing ? as in what it means please

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2007, 10:49 AM

I took my camera out for a walk in a local park earlier so that i could try out the AEB (auto exposure bracketing) on my camera this is set at eV0 ev-0.67 and ev +0.67 according to the manual will have to have a good read through to see if this can be changed (this is just a point and shoot low budget camera )

Any way here is what i came up with
1st the original
2nd using the 3 shots
3rd using just one image
all in HDRI

I havent took them into Photoshop at all, this was just done as a experiment (not that sure i like them )
Word of warning though i did not use a tripod and on some of the other shots used i must of wobbled but not too worried as the originals are ok and with some more messing around in HDRI i might be able to line them up better

CJ
Palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original.jpg (88.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg walk.jpg (81.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 1image.jpg (95.9 KB, 75 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2007, 11:56 AM

Can someone tell me an account to use for posting these large image sizes? Seems a shame to take a 10mg HDR and drop it to 100k.
I tried this but they don't allow hotlinking. Anyway if you want to copy and paste in your address bar... wmblake.20m.com/photo.html
My latest effort with 2 of the 3 origionals. These are merged in PS, shot with sony f717 one full stop apart with tripod.
Slight bit of PS. Crop, bump levels togather for saturation, slide green in hs cuz I wasn't happy with the accuracy of the color of the jacket.

Last edited by crazyfly1; 11-12-2007 at 12:03 PM. Reason: No hotlinking from that website
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2007, 12:36 PM

Crazyfly if and when i need to, I use imageshack (free), which allows files up to 1.5mb, If there are any others that allow bigger files someone will come along and post the info.

That is a great image, shame about you in it only joking of course, interesting to see how people react to being hdr'd

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2007, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Very nice Saby could you please shed some light on Linear timing ? as in what it means please

Palms
Hi Palms,

I mean at the raw converter of cs2 increment of exp. should be an integer not a floatingpoint number i call it lineartimeing may be there is a right word for, but i don't know, sorry

saby
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample.jpg (31.1 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saby View Post
Hi Palms,

I mean at the raw converter of cs2 increment of exp. should be an integer not a floatingpoint number i call it lineartimeing may be there is a right word for, but i don't know, sorry

saby
Please don't apologise Saby It was just a information gathering question as there are a lot of words related to not only hdr but photography as a whole that i (and others ) do not understand, and what better way to find the answers out ( rather than sit in ignorance) thatn ask

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2007, 07:41 AM

Quote:
... a lot of words related to not only hdr but photography as a whole that i (and others ) do not understand, ...

Palms
I agree with U, especially about words of photography -example: f-stop- what realy mess in my mind.

saby
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping