RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping Merging several different exposures into a single image

One file HDR

Old 11-23-2007, 07:09 AM

Re: One file HDR

Thanx a lot Patricia, I'll show the result

saby
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saby View Post
Hi Dennis,

I recognised some snapping in gradation, could I avoid that if I'd more than one shot or save it as raw? I'm realy new to hdr and photography as well, so I need some suggestions about: how to?

saby
Possibly. I only shoot RAW and I love the flexibility it provides. There are some excellent HDR tutorials around, but here are some basics. IMO there are 3 ways to process to HDR.

1) tonemap a single image. While this is not true HDR it does offer some nice looking results.

2) process a RAW file into 3 different exposures. The true dynamic range is still limited to the original shot.

3) take 3-5 shots (1-2 stops apart) with only the shutter speed different to capture the dynamic range of the scene. Auto exposure bracketing works well, especially if you have clouds or water movement. Also, while not necessary, a tripod is recommended. I bring the RAW files directly into Photomatix without any processing in ACR.

Just my opinion, but not every scene needs HDR. Some scenes you can cover the dynamic range in a single shot and they don't benefit. You can get some very interesting effects tho with tonemapping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciakay View Post
DWTomp....Lucis art is a brilliant plugin and you can do so much with it....its exciting though that there are many free HDR programs to play with too....
I agree Lucis is a very, very cool plugin, but I wouldn't classify it as HDR (it's probably not what you meant, just wanted to clarify). A little Lucis can go a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciakay
My favorite filter in Photoshop for processing any kind of photo is Highlight and shadows...it does amazing things to your pics...just got into using the adjustment layers too....So much to learn and very far to go...but this is how i spend all my free time.....T
Yep, its a very handy filter. The fill light and recovery in ACR can also work some magic at times. Layers and adjustment layers are your friend
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2007, 08:07 AM

Dennis you are right i wasnt classifying Lucis Art as HDR...just a great plugin with some amazing effects if not too overdone!!!

What is ACR??? Pardon my ignorance but dont know all the abrieviated terms!

You have explained HDR really well ...thats what i meant but didnt quite come out as well as yours!!!

Patricia..........
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2007, 08:16 AM

Do U know about HDRShop(http://gl.ict.usc.edu/HDRShop/), I've read the tutorial about the camera response curve, -U can check @ the link- I understand what it for, but could the resulting hdr better if I define it?

saby

Last edited by saby; 11-23-2007 at 08:18 AM. Reason: my low english is the matter
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciakay View Post
Dennis you are right i wasnt classifying Lucis Art as HDR...just a great plugin with some amazing effects if not too overdone!!!

What is ACR??? Pardon my ignorance but dont know all the abrieviated terms!

You have explained HDR really well ...thats what i meant but didnt quite come out as well as yours!!!

Patricia..........
Patricia, I was pretty sure you weren't, just wanted to clarify. Lucis is amazing, but for the life of me I've never figured out a use for the "plaid" settings.

ACR is Adobe Camera Raw. I use this for my RAW conversions. I think it started with CS2 Photoshop. The latest is v4.3. I started using it for my conversions in CS2, replacing Canon's DPP. Adobe really added some nice tools with the CS3's ACR. In fact, I'm finding that I'm doing more corrections and tweaking in ACR and less in Photoshop.

Nothing wrong at all with your explanation of HDR.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping