RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping Merging several different exposures into a single image

Another HDR attempt

Old 02-12-2008, 06:17 PM

Another HDR attempt

Here I have tried to achieve a more subtle HDR effect using photomatix and lots of masking. A number of colour asjustment layers and curves were also utilised. Initially shot this image at ISO 1600 (by accident) which led to a lot of digital noise. Some selective noise reduction was required using Neat Image.

C&C's most welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BMW M3 originalwevb.jpg (93.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg BMW M3 web.jpg (88.5 KB, 110 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2008, 05:08 PM

Re: Another HDR attempt

I like how you brought out the reflection on the side of the car and the warm color effects you applied. I couldn't begin to do these as well as you did.

A couple things caught my eye while typing this reply while looking at the attachment thumbnails. It occurs to me that it may be a good idea to sometimes "zoom out" to get a different perspective/view of one's work.

a. The long shadows of the car body (due to the position of the sun) conflict with the brightly lit side of the car.

b. Look at the area of the sky where it transitions from light to darker. If you follow that line from image L to R it seems to hug the contour of the rooftop giving it a halo-like effect.

In the big scheme these are trivial and the overall effect is very pleasing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2008, 06:42 PM

Thumbs up Re: Another HDR attempt

Thanks for the detailed response. I understand what you mean about the light on the far side of the car. The original reflections and light spots have been exagerated to give the image more contrast and energy. I played with the reflection intensity and found it was rather dull and flat so went for more of a boost. Glad you like.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping