RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping Merging several different exposures into a single image

Can one achieve HDR from one image?

Old 02-23-2008, 09:23 AM

Can one achieve HDR from one image?

hey all..

It may have slipped my radar.. BUT.. is it possible to take 1 raw pic.. screw around with the levels to create 3 diff exposured pics and THEN merge them in the HDR software?

or does it have to be 3 pics taken in the given situation?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2008, 09:55 AM

Re: Can one achieve HDR from one image?

Excellent question worthy of its own thread. As one new to RAW, ACR and HDR, I, too, would be interested in the opinions of others.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2008, 10:23 AM

I wouldn't have thought so as even though all 3 seemingly have different exposures, they would essentially still all have the same information. Having said that however, this makes for an interesting read: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=237266
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziaphra View Post
I wouldn't have thought so as even though all 3 seemingly have different exposures, they would essentially still all have the same information. Having said that however, this makes for an interesting read: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=237266
You rock! Very good info. The light is growing a little less dim.

Is it fair to say, then...

Generally speaking combining multiple images with varying exposures of the same high contrast scene has the potential for more dynamic range than what's possible by exposing a single image to extremes (via RAW converter) and combining the RAW-generated exposures?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2008, 12:09 PM

A plugin for .jpg files:
http://www.mediachance.com/plugins/redynamix.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2008, 03:17 PM

I thought i would do a experiment

all done in dynamic photo hdri software (from the same people in the link Danny has provided )

1. one image opened then apply image applied with multiply selected as blend mode, and again with apply image and screen as blend mode ( making three images with the original ) then took into dynamic photo and i let the software "guess" the values ( I had read somewhere of someone doing this )

2. the same images as above used but this time i manualy put the values in of -1 for the multiply, 0 for the original, and +1 for the screen

3.Then i used just one image on it's own ( refered to as fake hdr)

In dynamic photo i used the same setting for all three (eye catching at the default settings) just for comparison other wise i would probably of tweeked them

for more comparison take a look here as i posted the outcome i made with 5 separate images (same subject) and took through the same software

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/hdr...rying-out.html

I suppose it depends on the outcome you want and the image subject

perhaps someone would like to do a similar experiment using the merge to hdr function in cs3 or one of the other softwares ?

Palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guess.jpg (84.7 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg put-in-values.jpg (79.1 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg one-only.jpg (77.4 KB, 222 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2008, 03:34 AM

[QUOTE=OnkelMorfar;184086]hey all..

It may have slipped my radar.. BUT.. is it possible to take 1 raw pic.. screw around with the levels to create 3 diff exposured pics and THEN merge them in the HDR software? QUOTE]

No.

Weelll, OK it's possible, but what you get is not a true HDR image. You can use any of a number of different software programs/plugins to attempt that and you will get a greasy grimy oversaturated, highly contrasty...copy of the same image.

I just posted a photo in the april contest that is a blend of the same image developed three times in raw, but not with the idea of creating an HDRI. Same concept, sort of. One side of the face was underexposed so I did one exposure just for that and then blended it with the others.

Anyway, HDR is about taking the best of each exposure capture and blending it, this gives you the High Dynamic Range, that is to say, darks and lights that are outside of what your monitor can show you and, as a byproduct you get deeper, richer color.

If you just want more color take a regular jpeg and take it into 32bit mode you can way oversaturate it just by virtue of the fact that it (32bit) is an increadibly larger color environment to work in.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2008, 01:15 PM

I just joined the forum and I love it. Already gotten a bunch of useful information.

I enjoy shooting HDR, but recently pseudo HDR from a single RAW file has sparked my interest.

Here are some images processed from a single RAW file using LR 2.0, Photomatix, and Photoshop CS3.

Edit: I should mention I started with a single RAW file and converted it to 3 DNG files using LR.

http://NC-Retouched.smugmug.com/gall...868_4mdD5-A-LB

http://NC-Retouched.smugmug.com/gall...114_eXd4a-A-LB

http://NC-Retouched.smugmug.com/gall...669_J7hqa-A-LB

http://NC-Retouched.smugmug.com/gall...343_V76PM-A-LB

Last edited by Joe M; 05-29-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2008, 03:01 PM

Hi and welcome Joe
that is some nice work especially the buildings, look forward to seeing more from you

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2008, 05:05 PM

Joe M. What Palms said. And more. Although not technically speaking true HDR, I like what you have done a lot. Nobody said it had to look like everyone else's HDR to achieve something perfectly acceptable.

Janet
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping