RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping Merging several different exposures into a single image

Memories in HDR

Old 03-04-2009, 10:06 PM

Re: Memories in HDR

Are you using Tiff files because of being afraid of JPEG files?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Willes View Post
Are you using Tiff files because of being afraid of JPEG files?
Yes, i am afraid of JPEG files.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2009, 11:47 PM

Why?

Let me explain the truth and myth of JPEG.

Yes, you should be afraid of JPEG files if that is all you save of a given image, if you save at a compression below 95% in my opinion, mind you I am talking my opinion.

However as low as 80% is still no problem if you are saving a file to that level but do not plan to adjust or edit the image any further.

If you save at 95 to 100% you have little to fear, but even if you save it at 100% it results in a stored file that is 8 to 9 times the file size then saved in JPEG.

If you do your capture in RAW your RAW file is lossless, and even that file will be half of the file storage of a TIFF file.

If you save it in very fine JPEG and need to edit, you will not notice any problems, if you save a lower settings where your compression is greater it will fall apart pretty quickly.

I shoot and capture in RAW, but edit the raw files, then convert to JPEG, to send off to the lab.

The lab prefers you to send JPEG anyhow, it taxes their system more to open and close TIFF files.

Of course you have to use what comfort level you are willing to live with, but I am very comfortable with using JPEG but mostly because I still have the RAW file if I need it.

I have way to many images to work with to save as TIFF files, I have active files on external and internal hard drives that exceeds 10 terabytes as it is. if I was saving everything in TIFF format, I would need 80 terabytes of storage to save the same files.

I have 3 weddings this weekend to photograph between my wife and I, and we both use 12 MP D3 and D700 bodies and shoot over 1000 images each, and my two staff photographers both shoot with Canon 12 MP 5D bodies so it adds up very quickly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Willes View Post
Why?

Let me explain the truth and myth of JPEG.

Yes, you should be afraid of JPEG files if that is all you save of a given image, if you save at a compression below 95% in my opinion, mind you I am talking my opinion.

However as low as 80% is still no problem if you are saving a file to that level but do not plan to adjust or edit the image any further.

If you save at 95 to 100% you have little to fear, but even if you save it at 100% it results in a stored file that is 8 to 9 times the file size then saved in JPEG.

If you do your capture in RAW your RAW file is lossless, and even that file will be half of the file storage of a TIFF file.

If you save it in very fine JPEG and need to edit, you will not notice any problems, if you save a lower settings where your compression is greater it will fall apart pretty quickly.

I shoot and capture in RAW, but edit the raw files, then convert to JPEG, to send off to the lab.

The lab prefers you to send JPEG anyhow, it taxes their system more to open and close TIFF files.

Of course you have to use what comfort level you are willing to live with, but I am very comfortable with using JPEG but mostly because I still have the RAW file if I need it.

I have way to many images to work with to save as TIFF files, I have active files on external and internal hard drives that exceeds 10 terabytes as it is. if I was saving everything in TIFF format, I would need 80 terabytes of storage to save the same files.

I have 3 weddings this weekend to photograph between my wife and I, and we both use 12 MP D3 and D700 bodies and shoot over 1000 images each, and my two staff photographers both shoot with Canon 12 MP 5D bodies so it adds up very quickly.
I use only TIFF for HDR, but i don't save my works o TIFF, and even i don't save on JPEG, i don't work professionally so i need to save my edited works, so i just save my RAW files, but when i post any of my shots online then i always play with RAW file, so if i will make it final last edit then i convert to JPEG, but if i know that i will work on the photos again and again then i know opening the JPEG pics many times will decrease the quality even not so noticeable, so i always try to be in safe side and convert to TIFF [i resize them for web posting anyway so in this case i lower or decrease the file size of TIFF], and i agree that i need a lot of storage spaces if i will save RAW and TIFF all together, but i will say it again, when i work on a photo to produce HDR for posting on the net then i always work with TIFF files then converted to JPEG at the final stage and then i delete that TIFF and even JPEG, i never feel bored to work on the same photo millions time, at least saving my space and money more than my time [i am talking as i am not a pro who is worrying of his works to be ready for clients and prints so he has to save everything].

Good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2009, 08:24 AM

Like I said, you have to do what you are comfortable with, and what works for you.

I don't work files over and over again because I don't have the time, and what I do perform with any of my software programs I have it down to where it can be done in a very short time.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping