RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping Merging several different exposures into a single image

Is this HDR?

Old 10-03-2009, 08:32 AM

Is this HDR?

http://cache.krop.com/patrickhoelck-4a6644a5cadfa.jpg
http://cache.krop.com/patrickhoelck-4a67c732cc655.jpg
http://cache.krop.com/patrickhoelck-4a9ef282f9844.jpg

Are these photos made with HDR? Any suggestions on the lighting? Or how it's done in general?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2009, 10:15 AM

Re: Is this HDR?

The second one looks like a composite of 6 or 7 separate photos. Reflections and shadows look off to me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2009, 02:29 AM

I'd say this is more HDR.
http://i34.tinypic.com/24zyiqf.png
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2009, 03:08 AM

I dont see anything looking like "HDR ( Tonemapping ). The scenes does not have that dynamic range that you would need several exposures either.

It looks more like nicely executed dodge and burn techniques. You can see here, some crude examples of how it can change a scene. Put mouse over image ( or change to a line divider, by changing mode, top left ).

http://www.lutzimages.com/retouch_ga...image=korridor

http://www.lutzimages.com/retouch_ga...rl_image=horse
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2009, 03:54 AM

I going with no, they don't look like hdr to me. I agree with you on the d/b. To be quite honest I think they are terrible.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 01:26 AM

None of those are HDR. They're all composites (layering). 1 image made of many image sections. For example each guy is a seperate shot and then cut and pasted into 1 image.

HDR is also layering if you are to argue, but the difference is that HDR is layers of the WHOLE image. So for example if you were to make that image HDR, you'd have to have ALL the subjects in the shot then take differect shots of different EXPOSURES (3,5,7,9 images at 2 fstop difference each), stack all the exposures together and then tonemap to get the best detail from each different exposure. it's very hard to shoot live subject HDR's as you require your subjects to be perfectly still for an HDR to work. The other option is to create a 'pseudo' HDR, aka fake HDR. To do that you take 1 raw file, then create different exposured jpegs (3 or 5) by adjusting the exposure setting of the raw file and export to jpeg. Next you stack those differect jpegs and tonemap them the same way as a real HDR. The only difference in this is it's 'fake' because the different exposures are all from 1 single exposure. instead of 3 or 5 different ones. This 'fake' method is the way to make HDR images with living or moving subjects.

The look of HDR is similiar to what BitG posted but from looking at that, it's just an adjustment of shadows/highlights.

So to recap:
Composite image = layering of different images into 1 (cutting pasted different areas, masking layers), same exposure or different exposure

HDR image = layering of different images into 1 WHERE each image is a different exposure of 2fstops difference (taking the desired exposure from each image at the PIXEL LEVEL, and each image has to be identical ie, no movement in subject)

It's hard to grasp the idea and properly identify and HDR image unless you start doing them yourself. Once you get the basic idea however, you'll have to differentiate the difference between the term HDR and tonemapping and the difference of the 2 ~.^

My advice, grab a tripod take 5 photos of your house at -4, -2, 0, +2, +4 fstops apart and create an HDR with photomatix. Thats the easiest way to grasp the idea.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2010, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitG View Post
I'd say this is more HDR.
http://i34.tinypic.com/24zyiqf.png

i'am beginer and amateur. but i like this artwork pseudo HDR BitG did.
Can u Share how u do this ?
using photoshop or Photomatrix or ...

really curious.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2010, 10:10 PM

Hmm that was quite a while ago. I believe that was done is Photoshop with a plug-in called Lucis Pro. Just google Faux HDR or something like that, its rather easy to a jpeg image.

If you have your raw images at different exposures, I'd used photomatrix though, as J said.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitG View Post
Hmm that was quite a while ago. I believe that was done is Photoshop with a plug-in called Lucis Pro. Just google Faux HDR or something like that, its rather easy to a jpeg image.

If you have your raw images at different exposures, I'd used photomatrix though, as J said.
Thank you for fast reply BitG, i just grab the Lucis Pro as your suggestion, and is really easy and cool. but i will learn deep in photomatrix also.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2011, 11:48 PM

Check out Topaz Labs for plugins, I like Adjust, Detail and Denoise but the bundle is the best deal. www.topazlabs.com
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping