RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping Merging several different exposures into a single image

4 NOOBIE HDR Images

Old 02-26-2010, 10:20 AM

Cool 4 NOOBIE HDR Images

I really want to start doing HDR images but am at a lost. I searched for some quick info but am left with some questions that may be pretty basic. I just started taking photography recently, so any help how expertise or how basic would be appreciated.

First off, I see a lot of people on flickr composing HDR-like images of PEOPLE using 3 exposures even though I know HDR's for people usually don't turn out that well because there is not enough color? In a persons skin, BUT some are very nice...
Point in case: http://flickriver.com/photos/gio83dj/3293221983/

So my question are:

1. If you're taking 3 exposures of a single person, if the person moves even the slightest inch will there be noticeable ghosting? Or can you get away with it?

2. I have a Canon XSi and I know you can setup bracketing on your camera, this is for exposures?

3. Also, if I wanted to incorporate FLASH/STROBES into the mix how would this work? Do I have to change the Flash settings as well?

4. Lastly, how did this person achieve this "Dragan" effect lol...is it just from combining 3 exposures in photomatix? Or is there other work done?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2011, 01:33 PM

Re: 4 NOOBIE HDR Images

Here's a very good site about HDR http://www.stuckincustoms.com/ The Top 10 HDR Mistakes PDF is well worth a read.

You don't really need to set up auto-bracketing as you can do it in manual mode. Just make sure you change the shutter speed to adjust the exposure and not the aperture as you'll have 3 exposures and different dof's. You also don't always need 3. For instance I usually use 5 for my HDR merges at -2, -1, 0, +1, +2.

You can see some of my stuff here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/delbhoy...7625068426496/

Hope that is of some help to you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvbear View Post
I really want to start doing HDR images but am at a lost. I searched for some quick info but am left with some questions that may be pretty basic. I just started taking photography recently, so any help how expertise or how basic would be appreciated.

First off, I see a lot of people on flickr composing HDR-like images of PEOPLE using 3 exposures even though I know HDR's for people usually don't turn out that well because there is not enough color? In a persons skin, BUT some are very nice...
Point in case: http://flickriver.com/photos/gio83dj/3293221983/

So my question are:

1. If you're taking 3 exposures of a single person, if the person moves even the slightest inch will there be noticeable ghosting? Or can you get away with it?
You will get ghosting, and it may or may not be very noticeable depending on the distance of motion. However, Photoshop, Photomatix, and pretty well all S/W that merges photos to HDR, now how a ghosting option that allows you to designate where the ghosting occurs and lets you select one image to source that area from.

2. I have a Canon XSi and I know you can setup bracketing on your camera, this is for exposures?
Yes, bracketing is intended to take the same shot at different exposure values. There are a number of things you will want to do to your camera to ensure a successful shot.
- Place it on a firm tripod
- Set the mode to Aperture Preferred so that only the shutter speed is varied. Otherwise in Auto mode the camera will usually change the aperature which will give you different depths of field for each shot.
- Set the aperature to a higher value like f11 or higher if you are looking for sharp images with large depth of field.
- If you have Auto ISO function on your camera, turn it OFF and set your ISO to its lowest value, usually 100 or 200. That will usually produce the lowest noise in the RAW files
- Only shoot & save the images as RAW if possible, not JPG.
- Cover the Camera's viewfinder so that ambient light entering it does not affect the metering system
- If you have a Mirror Lockup option, use it because it will mitigate any camera shake resulting from the mirror coming up before the shot. This is best used in conjunction with a remote shutter release where you can allow the camera a couple of seconds to stabilize after the mirror comes up.
However, that being said, I have used my camera's Interval Timer in conjunction with auto bracketing to produce images where there was no noticeable movement from image to image.

3. Also, if I wanted to incorporate FLASH/STROBES into the mix how would this work? Do I have to change the Flash settings as well?
Flash is not recommend for HDR work. HDR works best when you have a high contrast scene. Flash tends to reduce or eliminate the contrast by evenly lighting it. There are certain times when HDR is not appropriate or necessary. I find it less useful for flash photography

4. Lastly, how did this person achieve this "Dragan" effect lol...is it just from combining 3 exposures in photomatix? Or is there other work done?
The Dragan effect usually has nothing to do with HDR. Its usually good photography taken with good lighting and then post processed manually including selective dodging and burning.

Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Patron

Derek, really nice HDR work. I love that harbour shot!
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Derek, really nice HDR work. I love that harbour shot!
Regards, Murray
Thanks! That one was a 3 shot merge at one stop intervals.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2011, 10:41 PM

Derek, you got pretty cool stuff there. Great works !!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping