RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping Merging several different exposures into a single image

HDR from single image

Old 05-04-2010, 03:21 PM

HDR from single image

i came across these series of images and i certainly see some sort of "HDR" look in them but due to the location and the large number of images i think they are made form a single shot..i know such a look is possible with a raw file but what about just a single jpg?..i am not familiar with lightroom or aperture so i am wondering if such a look is possible from within those programs?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank.jpg (82.8 KB, 234 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2010, 06:04 PM

Re: HDR from single image

You can get the appearance of HDR...but it isn't HDR. If you do a google search for HDR light room you can find some settings. I also like the software: dynamic HDR for single shots..but again...it isn't HDR. check out stuckincustoms.com good site for HDR
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2010, 07:08 PM

i realize it isn't a true HDR, i was just after the look that i had posted...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2010, 07:22 PM

Photoshop CS5 has a tool to do that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2010, 12:28 AM

OK!
So I was completely wrong.

With the HDR1 process - it is entirely possible to do an HDR out of any single RAW shot you want. Before we are able to merge the images, we have to create the bracketed set first. This is done by exporting the normal exposure (metered) exposure as a 16-bit TIF file. Yes, TIF files are huge, a 12 megapixel image is 71mb in size - but well worth it. Then you need to adjust the exposure to +2 and -2 and export those as TIF as well, so now you have your set as well. You could try going with a broader range ( such as +3, -3 or +4,-4 ) but the results typically won’t be quite natural.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2010, 02:45 AM

Photmatix has a plugin for Photoshop so you can Tonemap any single image open i Photoshop. Very convenient.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2010, 10:37 AM

Dear PixelZombie,
The "grungy" HDR look can be wrestled from a single frame -- even a single frame JPEG. One of the best at this it seems to me is Adjust from Topaz Labs.
Topaz makes available a 30-day full featured trial version so you can try it with no financial risk. Adjust comes with many presets and you can customize from there with many slider controls. Very easy to jump right in with almost no learning curve. Yet enough there to play with and learn about for years after that.
But first I recommend taking a look at the many examples available on the FlickR site Adjust group. Do a search and see if the examples are along the lines of what you want.
Jack
PS: Photomatix also will do the single frame grungy look via its local detail feature. It is a much more involved program however. Adjust cannot blend several bracketed images as can Photomatix. But with single frames it is a whole lot of fun in a hurry.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2010, 10:52 AM

As a novice to play around with HDR, I have created a psuedo-HDR-effect from a single jpeg file. I know I lose some quality but it works since its for playing around.
Take the original photo and create two different copies, one for under-expose and one for over-expose and then layer the three images. At least it showed me how to do the HDR and the effects associated with it.
Now, I am getting into exposure compensation and such and have started taking three real snapshots with different exposures.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2010, 05:32 PM

HDR from single image -- Book Shows How To

I'm back with another note on the Single Image HDR Look.
I mentioned earlier that Photomatix will "tone map" a single image to give it the "grungy" HDR look. And Topaz Adjust does the same for single images.
Just ran across a book that that describes the single image process with both Photomatix and Adjust. Plus shows many excellent examples. (Describes the multiple image HDR process with Photomatix as well)
"Rick Sammon's HDR Secrets for Digital Photographers"
Available through Amazon, of course.
Might be worth the $20 bucks or at least a bookstore browse if you are really interested in the single image HDR look.
Jack
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Patron

Pixelzombie, PS CS5 added anew command caled Image>Adjust>HDR Toning specifcally to create an HDR from a singe jpg image. It does apretty good job compared to some of the 3rd party plugins or stand alonee programs. You can also make some adjustments to a single image in Camera RAW which will also produce an HDR like result.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping