RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping Merging several different exposures into a single image

HDR with CS5

Old 08-15-2010, 01:48 PM

HDR with CS5

Hi!

Is it possible to create good looking (photorealistic) HDR images with CS5 new feature? I haven't had much luck trying. They always look flat and over processed. I would like to use this for some interior photos. I found some bad tutorials that show how to do those awful "toneraped" versions.

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Patron

Re: HDR with CS5

Whalter, welcome to RetouchPro. If you are referring to the Image>Adjust>HDR Toning command in CS5 I find it does a great job. Certain images lend themselves better to the effects than others. Usually I find only some very minor adjustment of a slider or two perfects the results. You might want to post a sample before / after image here so it can be analysed.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2010, 01:42 PM

Hi and thank you!

I'm trying to learn how to use the "merge to HDR Pro" with multiple bracketed captures with 1 stop EV shift. My results look quite bad I think. I can try to post a sample.

br W.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Patron

OK, now I understand. I tested it out on a couple of months ago on about 20 images, each bracketed 2 stops over and 2 stops under on a tripod. I was generally not pleased with the results. It depends in part on the image. Most of the time I prefer to overlay and blend the images manually in PS.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2010, 03:37 PM

Some people are very pleased with this one: http://www.oloneo.com/ It's currently beta and at the best price: free
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2010, 05:13 PM

I, like Murray, manually blend and mask images at varying exposures. I work for a architectural photographer whose work flow is to take many exposures for his images. He wants to choose the exposure for the shadows, highlights or lights for one side of a room and then the other. I take those images and "merge" them to his specifications.
I recently did a commercial room with a high, vaulted ceiling with windows. I manually blended the exposures of six images shot at f/11 with shutter speeds from .5 to 1/20. It turned out pretty good. Then I did a test with Photomatix Pro using HDR and Tone Mapping. I was very impressed ( at least with this scene). Photomatix rendered the ceiling, windows, dark corners, sun streaks perfectly. It didn't do so well with the below the ceiling area, but I could easily mask in those areas with other exposures. But I sure liked what it did with that problem ceiling.

K
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Patron

As with any set of complex adjustments that you have Photoshop perform on its own, it makes some assumptions and guesses. Sometimes it does a good job, and other times it makes a real mess. When I have an important piece of work I always do it myself.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by amica999 View Post
Some people are very pleased with this one: http://www.oloneo.com/ It's currently beta and at the best price: free
Thanks for the link Amica!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalter View Post
I'm trying to learn how to use the "merge to HDR Pro" with multiple bracketed captures with 1 stop EV shift. My results look quite bad I think.
Whalter,
Another thought would be to examine your images visually first and determine what process would yield better results.

For example, merging for HDR can yield poor results when using bracketing, if the subject is moving or the depth of field is rather long. Under these circumstances, good HDR comes from maintaining a fixed aperture, and changing only the shutter speed. This is always my preferred method. It takes longer to get the shots, but the results are always superior.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2010, 02:57 AM

Hi!

Thanks for your replys! I have done it earlier manually and was now thinking if some kind of automation could speed up the process or even help to improve the quality. I think I'll try the link amica gave or maby even photomatix that I have heard of before but not tried yet.

edit: it seems like oloneo dont run on a mac...

br W.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping