RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping Merging several different exposures into a single image

Any tips on how to fix the perspective of this?

Old 10-11-2015, 08:43 PM

Any tips on how to fix the perspective of this?

I took 6 interior photos (3 on top 3 at the bottom), merged them in photoshop, and got this highly distorted image. My questions are:

Is there a better way to take the images so that the auto merge is less distorted? Should I do 3 vertical shots instead of 6 landscape shots? Should I take the shots at various spots instead of staying in the middle?

What tools should I use to fix this? I played around with distort, scale, perspective, but can't get it to look half decent. Any tips? I am on cs6.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-10-11_213954.jpg (46.2 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by kenwood; 10-12-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2015, 01:08 AM

Re: Any tips on how to fix the perspective of this

This is a tough one. Ideally you don't rotate the camera from the film plane when setting up something like this. If you did interiors for a living, I would suggest a good pano kit, specifically one that can support a lot of weight. They're too expensive for casual use though.

You can try with some combination of warp and perspective in photoshop. A better approach would be to try to rotate around a pivot point closer to the center of the lens. You can often correct for lens distortion somewhat before stitching. Ideally you would have several (at least 4) times the intended resolution of the final output. That way your image will have sufficient detail after interpolation due to certain transformations.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2015, 07:01 AM

Um... klev... dude... it's a fisheye now, no matter how you position the camera it'll still be a fisheye lens.

If you don't want the bulb effect, you should move the camera on two axes rather than three(Use tilt shift for example). I would say warp, and fake it quite a bit to make it appear straight even though the proportions aren't going to be 100% right compared to the actual space.

Notice how the stair landings seem off, that's because we've reached an impossible perspective. Now this can be corrected, but it'll take some masking and warping.

perspective.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2015, 09:10 AM

Aside from shooting differently, you can fix it with the 'Adaptive Wide Angle' filter in Photoshop. You'll likely need to use several manual constraints to warp things back to vertical and horizontal.

--good luck.

Last edited by shift studio; 10-12-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
Um... klev... dude... it's a fisheye now, no matter how you position the camera it'll still be a fisheye lens.
I was describing how to do this with a wide angle lens, not specifically a fisheye. That part didn't actually occur to me, given the odd shape of the image boundaries.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2015, 12:33 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwood View Post
I took a 6 interior photos (3 on top 3 at the bottom), merged them in photoshop, and get this highly distorted image. My questions are:

Is there a better way to take the images so that the auto merge is less distorted? Should I do 3 vertical shots instead of 6 landscape shots? Should I take the shots at various spots instead of staying in the middle?

What tools should I use to fix this? I played around with distort, scale, perspective, but can't get it to look half decent. Any tips? I am on cs6.
IMO not worth trying to fix this (likely to be quite disappointed) better to reshoot.

You should not be using a wide or ultra wide for pano shots unless you want this type of distortion.

Better to shoot with a 'standard' lens 35 or 50mm and rotate camera to portrait orientation. Ideally your camera should rotate around the no parallax point http://www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm
Make sure you allow a generous overlap of images say around 20-30%
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2016, 05:33 PM

You could use a stitching app like PTGui, it will remove all of the distortion and has the tools to rotate your camera however you wish.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > HDR, Panoramas and Tone Mapping