Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

The New Hidden Power Book (and Tools) for Elements 4

Old 01-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Sorry for the delay!

Hi, Richard --

I finally found time again to revisit and appreciate your offer. I have a PC, a Dell Dimension 8300.

I would like to add that I've also since last writing upgraded my Paint Shop Pro to its current Version 10.02; I have absolutely no difficulty whatsoever with the use of any of my plug-in filters within said application. They all install and work just fine. It's only with Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 in which I've encountered the barrier.

As to the number of plug-ins, there are occasions when I begin a project in which I do not think in advance of what I am trying to create and thus rely upon the flexibility to decide what to do based on what is in my so-called toolbox. I just simply begin and allow my creative blessing to go forth.

I do not equate a creative session with that of a round of golf where the rules limit the number of clubs that one may have in one's bag on the course, but rather that if I've acquired the tools and placed them in my workshop I should be able to grab any that are needed and work with it on my bench.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2006, 03:26 AM
PSP is a different application with different requirements. Loading plugins takes memory, and if you have too many plugins (too many in the sense that your system is unable to handle them) then you can run into problems. I am betting it is the fault of the system and not the application. While 75 plugins are a lot, Adobe generally builds very sturdy the same time they are demanding of the system. The variation in the loading says to me that you are running out of memory.

I need more information about your system...the type is not enough. How much RAM do you have? How much free harddrive space? How many programs do you keep open at the same time? Do you play music on the computer? Do you have a firewall, internet connection and virus protection?

To use your analogy about the tools, if you have 50 power tools and 5 power sockets all running on a single breaker (not referring to the limitations of PS or PSE, but of the system and RAM), you may be able to run the table saw, router, drill and lathe (though I don't know anyone who could use all those with two hands), and then when you turn on an extra flood lamp to see what you are doing, everything goes black.

No one is asking you to limit your creativity, I just find it hard to believe that 75 plugins are necessary. After 15 years of photoshop use and 20 in digital imaging, I run exactly 0 plugins, unless you consider my tools a plugin (they are actions), or if you count standard plugins that come with the program. I don't know that I'd even be able to find 75 plugins to download, and can't imagine what additions can do that my own enginuity can't. It may be helpful to see a gallery of your images. Like I said, I am curious as to what you have in the plugin folder that is that valuable, and I'll post the command line (I'm not on a PC right now) so you can list them easily. Everyone learns to work differently and in accord with their style...I am betting we can find the solution for you to continue yours.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support