Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Can't fully install HPPE4 (Mac OS 10.4)

Old 07-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Finally successfully installed tools

I finally got the tools to install by doing a custom install to a folder on the desktop, then moving the Power_* folders into the Effects folder (in Elements4/Previews) and restarting Elements. The cache had been deleted by my earlier unsuccessful attempts and was rebuilt on restart. But I still could not get Easy Install or Custom Install to the Elements4 program folder to work -- each time after deleting the cache it claimed immediately (after 0 seconds) that the installation was successful but in fact installed nothing. I'm pretty sure nothing is basically wrong with my system, since everything else works fine -- actually I'm doing this on two different computers and the results have been identical on the two machines.

I don't know what is causing the Easy Install to fail -- perhaps it is some bad interaction with 10.4.x for a larger x than things were tested on -- but it would be helpful to add to the instructions something to the effect that the point of deleting the cache is so that it will be rebuilt *after* the Power Tools are installed in the Effects folder and will thus recognize them. I think this was the problem with the last installation from my last message -- the tools were in the right place and the cache had been deleted, but it was rebuilt *before* I put the tools in Effects. Many thanks for your help Richard -- I hope my next posts will be more interesting. Looking back, I see that engineerbob had exactly the same problem, so I shoiuld have figured it out sooner.

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2006, 05:36 AM
The problem likely has to do with sytem priviledges, and not the installer. This has been tested not only on my multiple systems, but on MANY other computers. Why it would work fine there and not on your system suggests your system. No one likes to hear that. However, if it is as simple as the fact that there are not priveleges for installers to write to the targeted directory, then it is your system, and not the installer, and it really isn't a big deal. I test it every time someone has a problem--though I am quite sure by now that it works. The same identical package is used to install the tools in the custom installation, it is just initiated in a different way. The initiation just allows the user to target a directory, rather than picking it for them. if that works, the installer is likely not a problem.

The instruction on screen for the mac discuss deleting cache. Troubleshooting on the website discusses it as well. There is significant documentation...and while that is not to say it can't be improved, I am not sure what to add, and I am pretty sure it states that after installing the cache has to be deleted--and it is ordered that way by the installer, and in the custom installation listing for options.

The installation is hopefully the most frustrating part for you. It has become the rare case with Hidden Power (now in its 3rd incarnation) that there are installation issues of any kind...i also rarely get the accusation that there is no real product to sell ;-) Now if I could just tackle the problem with people downloading with the wrong type of browser, I'd have very few support emails to answer!

I look forward to hearing about questions on using the tools -- there are far too few of those.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support