RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Can't fully install HPPE4 (Mac OS 10.4)

Old 05-06-2006, 08:01 PM

Can't fully install HPPE4 (Mac OS 10.4)

I am having trouble installing HPPE4.0 on my Mac G4. I have OS 10.4 running on this Mac. And I have previously run Photoshop Elements 2.0/3.0 with Hidden Elements on this computer.

I did not install Photoshop Elements 4 in the Application Folder. But when the HPPE4 installation is complete, there is a Photoshop Elements 4.0 folder in the Applications folder of the startup disk, containing only a Preview folder, which contains the Effects folder, which contains the HPPE4.0 actions.

I discovered that the installer also tried to install the HPPE4.0 actions in the Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0/Previews/Effects folder (which was not in the Applications folder). However, HPPE4.0 was trying to install a folder called, Previews, which contained a folder called, Effects, which contained the HPPE4.0 tools. But since there already were Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0/Previews/Effects folders in the Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 folder, the OS would not let another Previews/Effects folder be put there. Instead of installing the HPPE4.0 actions in the existing Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0/Previews/Effects folder, HPPE4.0 was trying to create new folders with the same names.

The net result is that I can either have the HPPE4.0 actons, or I can have the Photoshop Elements Effects, but not both at the same time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2006, 03:59 PM

I am having the same problem with Windows XP. Still trying to install.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2006, 08:28 AM

One thing I have found is that people are unfortunately not completely reading the information screens that appear at the beginning of the installation for Mac. There is some pretty extensive information there that covers custom installation. You NEED to do a custom installation if you have not installed Elements to the standard applications folder (if you would, please fill me in as to why you would choose not to install it there...). If you do not custom install, there is no way for the installer to know where to install...especially if you have also chosen to customize the name of the folders, or made other changes.

As far as PC is concerned, you have the opportunity to change the installation path during the installation. All you have to do is use the Browse button (looks like [...] ) when it appears. The default path is: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 4.0\Previews\effects\ If you have not installed there, please browse for the proper Effects folder to install to.

Let me know if this solves the installation issues you are having.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2006, 08:30 AM

PS -- I see on your response for the Mac that you are swapping out Effects folders. Try placing the content of the Effects folder from the PowerTools installation into the current Effects folder. Please also delete the Cache (instructions are in the installer screens) so that the Effects cache gets rebuilt.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2006, 12:24 AM

RE: Can't fully install HPPE4 (Mac OS 10.4)

The reason I didn't want Photoshop Elements in the Applications folder on the startup volume was that I have a separate partition set up for photos. And I wanted everything having to do with photos on that partition, including relevant applications. Also, when I first set it up with Photoshop Elements 2.0, I was running out of disk space for my startup partition. But I have since re-partitioned the disk, leaving sufficient space on the startup volume.

So I reinstalled Photoshop Elements 4 into the Applications folder. And after installing HPPE4, everything is working now. I think the problem I was having was that I was opening the Photoshop Elements application after running the HPPE4 installer, but before moving the HPPE4 files into the Photoshop Elements 4 folder. So the Effects cache was being rebuilt before the HPPE4 files were in the right folder. Once the HPPE4 files were in the right folder, and THEN the Effects Cache was deleted, Photoshop Elements came up fine the next time it was started. I think that I would be able to install everything into the Photo partition now, but it is fine the way it is. Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2006, 05:08 AM

The cache does need to be deleted AFTER the installation, as you suggest, and that can certainly make a difference.

Glad you got everything installed and that you are up and running. Hard drive space is no longer a premium, ad if you have a space for another slot on your machine, I'd recommend a second hard drive. I used to try to partition, but adding drives has come to be a better means. Especially with the size of my images increasing!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2006, 02:49 PM

Also can't install Power Tools

I am running Elements 4 under Mac OS 10.4.7. I click the installer, enter the password, leave it on Easy Install, choose the correct Effects Cache among the choices offered (several because Elements 3 is still on the machine and there is a full clone on an attached drive) and click install. Everything is in its default position as determined by the Elements installer. Then *immediately* pops up the messge that installation was successful -- there is no time for it actually to happen. And it seems not to happen, since following the instructions on Page xxiv, there is no trace of the tools in the Styles and Effects menu, even after restarting Elements. What am I doing wrong?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2006, 07:15 AM

Please have a look for anything titles Power_. If you find the tools, then they have installed. If you cannot find them, please read all the installation instructions and perform a custom install (as difficult as custom sounds, it is really very easy -- it just lets you pick where the tools get installed).

If that still doesn't work, this might come down to a login issue. Are you logging in as a user that can install software? if not, that's the problem.

If nether of these works, try creating a folder on the desktop and use custom install to install the software there. Once you get it installed, you'd have to move it to the appropriate folders and delete the cache. however, something else is going on on your system as I work on a mac and have no problem installing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2006, 10:48 AM

Continuing problems installing Tools

I did a custom install. First I selected the first alternative offered, the Elements4 program folder; this resulted in the same behavior as before -- nothing was installed. Then i did it again and selected the folder
Elements4/Previews/cache/Effects Cache.

The installer then did do something -- it installed a new Previews folder (in Effects Cache) and inside that an Effects folder which contained the Power_* folders. So they now seem to be on the disk, but I can't figure out where to put them so that they show up in the Styles and Effects menu in Elements. I tried

Elements4/Previews/Effects/Power_*
(mirroring the structure of the installer) and

Elements4/Previews/cache/Effects Cache/Power_*
(where I thought they were supposed to go)

In each case I restarted Elements but did not find the tools in the Effects portion of the Styles and Effects menu of Elements (I tried All with List view to make sure I wasn't missing them). Where should I put them?

......Peter
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2006, 06:16 AM

If I am going to be able to help you, I need you to follow the instructions I give you and tell me the results of what I asked you to do. Without that, installation problem solving is random and inneffectual. It will also fail to find larger problems that may exist on your system that if you keep working around will eventually lead to other and possibly more catastrophic results than simply not being able to install the tools.

It is not at all clear to me why the tools will install to the wrong folder and not the right one. The only thing I can think is that you are trying to out-think the installer. If you have read the instructions that appear on screen, installation should occur with custom installs when you target the program folder--not any folder inside the program folder. You seem to be targeting the Cache folder for whatever reason...that will not work. If you read the instructions on screen, they tell you that you have to delete the cache. If you continually install without deleting the cache, you will install from now till doomsday and nothing will show up in the program. if you install to the cache folder and then delete that cache folder...well, you will be deleting the very thing you are trying to install.

As it is apparent that the installer is installing the files, my suggestion at this point is to read the instructions that appear on screen while doing the installation as they answer all the questions you are asking--and they are the only answers that I have. If you prefer that I cut and paste the instructions here, I can do that -- but they will be the same instructions you already have. if you follow the instructions and the installation still does not work and you follow the troubleshooting I suggested in this thread and report the result, i can do more to help you.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support